Are you borthered by false positives in scanners?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Nov 14, 2004.

?

Are you borthered by false positives in scanners?

1. Yes

35.3%
  2. No

5.9%
  3. No, not if they are rare

47.1%
  4. No, I'm good enough to quickly figure them out

11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

I personally hate false positives. Of course, at the time, you don't know they are false positives. That's the problem!

Every time my antispyware or antivirus tells me it has found some malicious program, my heart leaps. Even if it's something I can dimiss with a glance or with some investigation.....

And those that I can't, induces within me a sense of panic. The uncertainty, of whether your digital home has being breached, hanging like a heavy weight over me. I can't sleep, can't eat, until I have dismissed the possibility.

2. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I hate finding things, too, however it's not practical or realistic to expect that programs will always be without flaws. If uncomfortable about something found but not resolved, I'd disconnect from the Internet to eat or sleep.

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

At home the problem is limited. In our organization the problem can be enormous. I recall one time where our virusscanner detected and cleared radmin, the remote administration tool. In our case this false positive was a great solution, because it was not our official remote control tool. It was installed by a temporary operator.
    But if it were our preferred tool, we'd had a major incident on 3000 systems...

4. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Hmm Radmin is a border line case since there are legimate uses for it. On the other hand, you probably would like to know if someone was running a radmin server on your comp

I'm talking about real false positives, e.g one pointing to a harmless or even critical system file.

5. freeloadin

freeloadin Guest

seems a body can't be both! Your lyin or not! about those scanners, they just got em down at the aP, babysister likes em, but, my eyesigt and all, always think theys cheaatin somehow. don't like em aattal!

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I talking about a real false positive too. radmin is a legitimate tool (we even had a license to use it :)). It's just not our tool of choice. So this false positive really had a negative effect on part of our network.
    False positives probably are inevitable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.