Are you behind a Router / NAT?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iwod, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Which basically means anyone who is on Uni network. And i cant imagine anyone at home who dont have a router. ( Because most household now have more then 1 computer )

Since if you are behind Router you are effectively behind a hardware firewall.

Why do you still uses a Software firewall? ( Excluding the Windows Built in Version )

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont use a software firewall :) waste of resources wen at home.

3. Follower

Follower Guest

+1 :)

4. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I use the Windows Vista Firewall with control of outgoing connections.
    That is very secure and very fast.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

NAT/router covers the inbound unsolicited communication, the software firewall covers the outbound unsolicited communication.

Cheers,
    Fax

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

What fax said and since I have more than enough resources on this PC a software firewall doesn't make a dent.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

+1. Yes, behind NAT router and using Outpost on host system for outbound control, and Malware Defender's network control on guest VBox system.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

That is the way I see it too.

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Linksys router here with Windows Firewall :thumb:

11. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

My ISP keeps us on an internal network, like little children. :rolleyes: You can still have hackers on internal networks though (especially if you're on a university network) so I also block incoming packets with my software firewall (Windows Firewall). I use Mamutu to block programs that use surreptitious means of bypassing the firewall. :shifty:

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

This is the point.:thumb:

13. bollity

bollity Registered Member

there is a simple reason why to use software firewall in all cases.
    you maybe infected with a trojan or a backdoor that act as server to send your information(passwords,files, screen logger,.....) to the hacker. you need the firewall to tell you that this file want to send something to the internet.
    you may say that the antivirus can detect these things. not all malewares are being detected.
    always use software firewall and sacrifice some resources to your safty.

14. firzen771

nobody said they relied on an AV to do all the detecting... and by ur same logic that it can get thru the AV, it can also bypass the firewall. nothing is gunna be perfect and ive yet to have a malware that got past everything and had to rely on the firewall to stop it (cuz if the malware is that rooted in ur system im sorry but ur FW wont do anything anyways...)

and that is why i prefer to stop the malware from getting in than TRY to stop it from getting out.

15. Onur

Onur Registered Member

I am behind of Router-NAT but i use Comodo Firewall because i want to control my outgoing connections. This is important too i think.

16. Pentangle

Pentangle Registered Member

I'm behind a Belkin router with Outpost Free to monitor outbound. Just makes good sense to me.

17. bollity

bollity Registered Member

you may be an experienced user who can protect himself well,but most computer users are not. and they need the help of these softwares.
    you say that malwares become more dangerous. yes i agree but also antimalwares and protection tools become better too , so it is a balanced war.

18. firzen771

same thing can be said about the FW's, do u think an average user is gunna know why the hell explorer.exe or 1234.exe wants to connect out? no, theyre gunna just OK and go on with what their doing, either way i say keep the malware out (many ways to do that including without having any prompts to the user) instead of keeping the malware in, cuz by then its alredy too late.

19. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

A firewall will not protect you against any stolen data if you are infected! A lot of people believe that is not right.
    If your system is compromised the firewall will easily be bypassed or shut down.

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

haha, use GeSWall confidential option to protect your D:\Documents and Settings (and explicitely allow per untrusted application) or with DefenseWall include it in Resource Protection (add it as a resource to system and allow it per untrusted application).

All untrusted processes attempt to access these directories are futile :argh: :argh: :argh: No data files in "My Documents" - nothing to steal :argh: :argh: :argh:
    GW+DW ability to protect against data access for untrusted :thumb: together with KeyScrambler :thumb: are the most effective 2nd layer countermeasure against keyloggers and data stealers.

You will only fail ICPM and DNS baised leak test (even without software firewall :D ).

My router config https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1287767&postcount=1

regards Kees

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  21. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

AV's block based on signatures. Firewalls block program behaviour. There is no reason to assume that a trojan/info stealer will bypass a firewall just because it's not detected by an AV.

Again, the vasy majority of info stealers do not have the capacity to shut down modern firewalls with built-in HIPS features. Your argument is silly

22. firzen771

i didnt mean if the AV missed it the firewall will, i meant that the firewall can miss things just as the AV can. thats why i dont only use an AV but i prefer not to use a firewall since IMO the only benefit of a firewall is to stop certain programs from connecting, not malware.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am behind a NAT router, and also use my laptop as wireless.
    Is my laptop, using wireless, as well protected as if wired?

Regards,
    Jerry

24. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you have a software firewall running on your computer - then Yes.

25. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Linksys NAT router and Outpost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.