Are Windows updates really that important?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Amanda, Feb 24, 2016.

1. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

It's unofficial, again read what I'm saying and read that MS for normal EOL is 2016. I not talk about inofficial hacks. Yes, I posted that link because your posted stuff not works on x86 I tested it long time ago, that's why you need to mod it, again it's unofficial and again there is no argument doing this, if it comes to security, MS can kill this at any time, you and I don't know if such updates are 'designed' to support Xp but you simply ignore all of this by posting something yourself never tried and suggest this on a puplic forum.

I always read but you should understand what it means that's the difference.

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

If by "unofficial" you mean "microsoft doesn't talk about it" than I agree.

Changing things in the regedit is a Windows thing and it's not external - it's an option built-in the system. Therefore, even if Microsoft doesn't induce users to do this, it's still there and the updates come directly from Microsoft.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've run the patch on a few 32 bit XP systems (I've never come across a 64 bit XP install), and it works as stated, and does enable you to continue to receive updates. I don't use personally XP any more, because I think the more recent versions of Windows are a massive improvement over XP, not because of any security concerns. I'd sooner use Vista any day than XP.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Personally, I did away with XP a little while ago on this one old machine we have, only because I found a better option in Arch Linux - wonderful speed and stability, far less prone to being attacked, and "security through obscurity". That said, some are completely missing the point and focusing too much on the O/S rather than the "main entrances" for malware and exploits: email links and attachments and the web browser. If you secure these two applications and exercise common sense, you will avoid problems. Of course if you further protect yourself by not plugging in 3rd party external drives, especially usb, and backup your important data, you will turn major ordeals into nothing more than minor inconveniences.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Update: I couldn't update my Windows 7. I don't know why this happens, it keeps searching for the updates but never displays them. After numerous fixes and workarounds, I don't know what to do.

I could argue that Windows has a problem with me creating the partitions with gparted, but I haven't tested this theory. I will try to create my partitions with the Windows DVD and let it create that reserved partition to see if it helps.

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I doubt that it is the partitioning. It is usually because of some issue with the database in the software distribution folder. There is a program called MS Fix from Microsoft that will repair it. I've had to do it a few times. I also download the full service pack 1 file and apply it offline before updating through Windows update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I did use the fix. In fact, I used many fixes, some are just for the Windows update, some install a WU component or a different version of WU... other times I just stop "bits" and "wuauserv", then delete everything in the SoftwareDistribution folder, then restart those services, reboot, and try to update agin.... still nothing. 1:30 hours looking for updates and it didn't find any. This started happening after Windows 10's launch.

My ISO, which is from 2010, already contains SP1.

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@amarildojr For many years, I have used AutoPatcher on Windows 7 machines due to the hundreds of updates, to save bandwidth, etc. always with great success. Hopefully that may be helpful to you. (http://www.autopatcher.net/forum/)

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@WildByDesign That seems lovely! I'll definitely try it today to see if it helps my case.

10. wat0114

Hi amarildojr,

Mister X provided me the following tip: Anyone else experiencing a buggy Windows Update on Windows 7 ? I ran the scripts but the update search still took a really long time to finally find the updates, although that said, maybe they worked. In fact, I left it running overnight. I guess it was probably several hours to complete, but at least it found them. Lots of Googling reveals many suggestions to just be patient with the update search.

11. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

12. wat0114

Good luck :thumb:

13. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to play some old games that are only available on Windows :-*

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but Win Updates are important if you're worried about kernel exploits. But the last 5 years on Win XP I didn't patch it because I was afraid to break my security tools. I never got infected. I don't know if it was just luck, or that perhaps kernel exploits are not often used. Another option is that my HIPS (SSM) protected the system, but I never saw it blocking any attacks. But I did run it in silent mode, so who knows.

15. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Even with EMET set to Maximum? And COMODO HIPS to Paranoid mode?

16. wat0114

You know how to secure outside the O/S, so it' not because of luck, and most likely also because kernel exploits are rarely used. It is also due to the same reasons that other members in this forum can still run XP infection-free.

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I have a feeling that kernel exploits are not often used. And in theory, security tools might still interfere with malware that's running with high privileges.

It all depends on how advanced the malware is, but yes kernel exploits can bypass all security tools, because they all rely on the Windows kernel. So not updating Windows is not recommended, M$ is the only one who can fix kernel holes. And with browsers like Chrome and Edge becoming harder and harder to hack, who knows if kernel exploits will become more popular.

18. wat0114

It is fact as of 2015, O/S exploits are outnumbered ~ 3-1 by exploit kits (Angler especially) targeting Silverlight, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash Player (the most likely target of an exploit kit), and Java. Of the O/S exploits reported, the most common uses a malformed shortcut file that was patched by MS in 2010. 3 out of 5 target Android devices and there's an OLE exploit that uses IE as the attack vector, also patched by MS in 2014. There are no doubt other, lesser known, exploits in circulation, but the chances of of falling to them are slimmer than the ones mentioned. If one were to ditch even some of these applications, and diligently keep the others updated, they further reduce chances of being exploited even without the aid of 3rd-party security apps.

19. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Good thing I never use these ;)

20. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I'm using Windows 10 now. Sorry 7, I love you but I can't wait days just to see if you'll find updates.

10 is working really beautifully, I'm actually very impressed by it. I'll write a review soon.

21. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

I wish my computer supported running Windows 10, my internal video card on my motherboard does not support it (ATI Radeon HD 4200)

22. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

Why win 10 not supports you Radeon HD 4200, even an one year older 8800 GTS can handle Win 10. Legacy (older) cards only not get that often updates but that's all. As long your card can handle WDDM 1.x and DirectX 9 (minim specs for 10) everything should work. Read here ma friend.

23. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Then I guess you'll be surprised by my review :)

24. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

Ah, I see. thats good to know.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@ChrisFerro3 You will be able to get it working. You might just have to install a driver for a previous version of Windows. When I installed Windows 10 on an old Dell laptop I was warned that Radeon Xpress 1150 video was not supported. However I was able to find a driver that worked, and it ran just fine. I think I used some driver update software to find and install the driver, probably DriverToolkit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.