Are water cooled pc more better?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Depends. I just bought a high end rig from Velocity Micro. I was thinking about the water cooling. Their answer was it depends on usage. They said if I was going to over clock and play intensive games, the water cooling might be worth it. But since i have no intention of over clocking, and don't play games, they recommended against it. The reason:

Water cooling is great for the actual components cooled, but the hoses can imped airflow thru the case. They said it for my usage I'd be better off without it as the airflow thru the case was probably more important. So far from using the system, and looking at temperatures, I'd say they were right.

Pete

PS. The system is actually quieter than the surrounding ambient room noise.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Define better, please?
    Water cooled systems use less or no fans, resulting in less noise.
    The performance is identical to regular air cooled systems, unless the system builder decides to tweak and oveclock the water cooled system.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

water cooling is great if u want a quiet computer and/or if u want to achieve high(er) overclocks on your cpu/gpu.

you would still need some fans in the case to compensate for missing airflow around the cpu area in particular.

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Thats exactly the correct answer.
    There is absolutely NO GAIN in performance just because a system is water cooled. However, if you use extensive GFX apps (i use resolutions around 2560 x 1600 pix with the TFT and all possible shader & antialias maximized) then u will need water cooling for a Crossfire System of 2 GFX Cards. Otherwise you just need to roll in a egg in the tower and you get it well cooked after 5 min for breakfast. Don't forget to thow salt in the tower, otherwise the egg will be without any taste :rolleyes:

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

As others have noted, water-cooling is usually quieter and more efficient than fans and is likely to allow for higher over-clocking resulting in a faster PC (the specifics depend on your exact setup though so don't ask for any firm figures).

The downside is that water-cooled systems need more setup and maintenance (ensuring the tubes and connections are leak-free, keeping the water topped up, ensuring that the correct additives are present to prevent algae buildup and galvanic corrosion) and adds another item that can cause problems if it fails (the pump). Essentially, it is an option more suited for advanced users than beginners.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Remember when a 486 was top of the line? Back in those days, there was considerable conjecture that the 586-to-be (which eventually appeared as the Pentium) would have to be water-cooled because it was so much faster.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

MaximumPC magazine, in the past did an article about quieting a non-water cooled PC. My PC is so quiet, but thats do to age related hearing loss.

Take Care
    rico

9. sweater

:D :D :D

10. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Or earplugs to reduce system noise? :D :thumb:

11. sweater

The downside is that water-cooled systems need more setup and maintenance (ensuring the tubes and connections are leak-free, keeping the water topped up, ensuring that the correct additives are present to prevent algae buildup and galvanic corrosion) and adds another item that can cause problems if it fails (the pump). Essentially, it is an option more suited for advanced users than beginners.[/QUOTE]

Ngee...o_O :gack: That's what I dont want, the maintenance part. My aquarium looks nice but if there's a leak then that's where the big problem starts . i have to take out everything inside the glass tank then dried it before the putty adhesive can be put into to cover the glass leaks. then put in again everything into the glass tank, what a tough work. Back into pc, learning that it still needs some kind of "techno" maintenance part and checking then I'd better stick into the "older" fan type cooling system. At least, it didn't adds up to more maintenance that my pc have to go. Regular scanning, defragging, etc already makes me tired. That there are times that i only do it monthly. :oops: :'(

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Just keep the water above freezing point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.