Are Viruses Making a Comeback?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.technet.com/b/securit...iruses-making-a-comeback.aspx?Redirected=true

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Note that while Viruses and Trojans do different things once installed, prevention of infection by remote code execution (aka Drive-by Download) is the same, since both tend to drop binary executable files to disk:

Virus, from Microsoft MPC:

Trojan, from f-secure:

A system with protection against the downloading/installing of unauthorized executables will intervene to block these exploits.

----
    rich

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Hmm. Since the Sality one uses a DLL, wouldn't it bypass a HIPS silently if rundll32 were allowed?

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If the security program whitelists all executable file types on the system, then others can not run or load.

In the case of rundll32.exe, it can do whatever it wants, as long as the DLL is whitelisted. If not:

[​IMG]

----
    rich

5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I see, thanks. I'd read that some HIPS will allow any DLL to be executed through rundll32 if the latter is allowed, but I guess that's not the case for all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.