Are there a NOD32 conflict with Firefox when downloading at times?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by STagoreK, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STagoreK

STagoreK Registered Member

Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced this:

Now that I have NOD32 on my system when I use Firefox to download from certain sites (for example, efax.com or I think yahoomessenger) it would get as far as 98% or something and then freeze, if I try to cancel or exit out of the program firefox won't respond and then crashes. Similarly internet explorer 7 will also hang a bit at the end of the same downloads but will eventually finish and it will be fine. Is NOD32 doing something during the download process which is causing this? Is there an adjustment I can make?

Thanks,
    S

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you please give me a link to such a file?

3. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Ive not experienced that problem

4. STagoreK

A link of an example is to efax messenger, you can see the download at:

http://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/download

Have said this I tried the process again, now I've found that as long as I wait for minute afterward it will in fact finish the download, but I am wondering if NOD32 is doing some sort of scan that extends the download process like this? It's not a huge deal, now that I know it does in fact work if you are willing wait like that, but it seems unusual doesn't it?

S

5. Supersnake

Supersnake Registered Member

Thank you for posting that problem, I first noticed it about 2 or 3 days ago and it has happened two times more today. On one occasion I was ticked off because I was attempting to download a video game I paid for and it hung up with 0.1 MB remaining. Like you I had to either wait around one additional minute or I had to cancel the download and resume it again - fortunately it completes the download but it can be tenuous waiting for it to do so.

As for that problematic download you are point me to, let me try it......

Yes, it hangs up for me too - here is the screenshot where it hungup at a point with .01 in time remaining, then after a minute wait it completed to 100%

EDIT: I forgot to add that Firefox has hung up and crashed for me two or three times today -something I have never seen it do before. Also, and this may be my imagination but I think I have been seeing that small "green NOD downloading icon" appear more frequently in my system tray when visiting my usual web pages but I could be wrong on that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  6. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Both Firefox and IE7 gave exactly the same performance here.The download hung for around half a minute, with both browsers, after 99% was completed and then completed satisfactorily.

7. Supersnake

Tried that example download a second time and I encountered an extended problem. Firefox hungup, then crashed and the "Do You Want To Send This Error To Microsoft Window" appeared. My screenshots below show the two Events that were generated.

8. STagoreK

Ok so I am not alone in this! So you guys are having the same problem as well? I assume NOD32 is doing some thorough scan of the file before it finishes saving but is gives us this long hang or in certain cases still crashes it looks like. Thank you for the screenshots on the events supersnake (by the way, excuse the noob question but I am still getting used to all the XP functions, how did you look at the event log in windows xp? What do I click to get the same type of log? Or is another piece of software you are using?)

Thanks,
    S

9. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

I'm seeing these problems constantly. Downloading 100MB+ files being rar or exe cause the download to hang at 100% for sometimes up to 4 minutes, with IMON showing the specific file in the status window.

10. STagoreK

Interesting the file size you mentioned. I can't recall how big google earth is but I don't remember that being a file that hung, neither google picassa (and I am sure they are both larger than efax messenger which hung on me. Then again perhaps they were zipped and not exe files like you mentioned.)

I have sent a message to eset tech support and linked this forum thread, hopefully they can figure it out.

11. chmiller

chmiller Registered Member

You get to the event viewer by clicking "start", right-clicking "my computer" and select "manage". You'll see event viewer under system tools.

12. Supersnake

Then to proceed further to locate the problem you had with any application, open the Event Viewer and select "Application". Look for any red X then double click on the red X to see additional information concerning the event.

STagoreK, thank you for submitting this problem to Eset Support.

Attached Files:

13. Supersnake

Eset support: Please take note of the above.

Yes, I have noticed that the downloading of executables are definitely one of the file types being affected by hangups.

As was pointed out by STagoreK a link of an example is to efax messenger, you can see the download at:

http://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/download

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  14. STagoreK

Thanks for the tips to both of you on the event manager. Hopefully we'll get some feedback from ESET soon. If they contact me directly I'll be sure to post their response on here for you guys too.

15. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

I've had this for about the last 6 months but just lived with it as the download has always completed correctly. I just treat it as a minor annoyance now.

16. Supersnake

Thanks Stagorek, seems like I have an early start on you as I am running through some trial runs with Eset Support right now. Will post the conclusion when reached.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  17. Supersnake

Followed Eset Support instructions: Performed trial runs with all permutations of AMON and IMON settings for Self-extracting archives, Runtimer packers, and Advanced heuristics. After specifying which setting was involved determined whether AMON or IMON are involved as a single or dual entity.
    My findings:
    1. Self-extracting archives and Runtimer packers settings are not involved.
    2. Advanced heuristics is involved.
    3. Advanced heuristics must be unchecked in both IMON and AMON in order to complete a download without
    having a delay at near-completion.
    4. The problem can be replicated using either Firefox or Internet Explorer as the downloading browser
    but it is easier to follow the downloading progress using Internet Explorer.

Have forwarded the findings to Eset Support and am awaiting further correspondence.

[Note that I am not advocating disabling any settings]

18. swami

swami Registered Member

The phenomena has been happening with Opera for at least half a year. Every download freezes for a couple of seconds. Such a short time that I've not minded it.

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Never noticed this problem in my year and a half with NOD32 until last night!! Perhaps I wasn't looking for it. I was downloading a DIVX film and right at the end it sat there. I checked process explorer and NOD was at near 100% CPU for 20 seconds or so then the download completed. The file size was 674Mb.

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@Joliet Jake

674 MB file is a big one and it takes time until IMON checks it all before being written on the hard drive

21. STagoreK

That's great Supersnake that you got a hold of them, ESET support were usually pretty quick in the past when I couldn't get it to work on my Thinkpad (turned out Client Security Solutions private disk by Ultimaco doesn't work with it by the way) but they haven't gotten back to me still regarding this.

So it does look like advanced heuristics is going through the motions. That is no problem if everything will finish downloading after a few seconds, I would just be upset if it crashed Firefox right after a huge download because of hanging so long, you would have to re do everything. Let us know if you get more feedback from ESET or more ideas.

Thanks.

22. Joliet Jake

Oh it comes down fast enough, but right at the death NOD took up nearly 100% CPU for around 20 seconds. Does it not scan it as it comes down or does it wait for the file to finish before scanning?

23. STagoreK

100%? Out of curiosity what are the specs on your system?

24. Joliet Jake

AMD 4000+
    2 Gig of RAM
    Western Digital Raptor hard drive
    ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo

8Mb broadband.

25. STagoreK

Well I guess regardless of system set up, NOD32 is scanning at the end of a download (which uses most of the CPU I take it for that duration). This is what ESET support sent me:

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hi there, this was investigated and determined to be caused by the use of "Advanced Heuristics". As such when Advanced Heuristics is ticked for use, this pause will be seen as NOD32 checks the download before releasing it to your system.

Thank you for contacting ESET.

So I guess what they told Supersnake is the final answer, that it will hang like that at the end. You can always uncheck "advanced heuristics" in AMON and probably IMON, but this is part of the NOD32 normal procedure. So I guess case closed unless there are any further crashes. Thanks for all the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.