Are the Google Update Scheduled Tasks Necessary?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

In my scheduled tasks, according to CCleaner, there are two tasks for Google Update. I was wondering if these are necessary, or will Chrome still automatically install a new version when you run it? Are there any privacy issues connected to these tasks?

Specifically they are:

- GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /c
    - GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA Google Inc. C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe /ua /installsource scheduler

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Google also install two update services but I don't know if they automatically update Chrome if tasks are disabled/deleted. If you want to disable automatic update, you can disable both - services and tasks. You can even delete both. You can still update Chrome manually using "About Google Chrome" option in application.

3. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

If you disable the tasks in the scheduler, chrome will not update automatically. You can delete these if you wish You will need to run the update manually as mentioned by hqsec if they are deleted or disabled. They are not needed either in the services and can be set to manual. Not sure about the privacy issues but personally, i don't like to have it run constantly.

regards.

4. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I have disabled them myself and check manually.

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i would like to do the same but i fear google drive might be adversely affected by doing so

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I doubt not only Drive but also other Google's services (Google+ etc.). Google updaters are installed together with any Google application including toolbar. Unfortunately it's not easy to remove them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.