Are Spyware Terminator, Prevx and Windows Defender compadable?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cheater87, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Or will there be conflicts?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would have thought prevx by itself would be sufficient protection. I have run prevx alongside spyware terminator with no issues, i don't know about windows defender tho.

3. gevin

gevin Registered Member

i tried prevX with MS Defender and Comodo FW before, running great. but never put 3 of them togather, as don't trust ST old history. But you can try.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Some people have no problems with Windows Defender, others do. It's beta, so you have to expect unpredictable problems. I don't really think that Windows Defender is going to give you much benefit, however.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Prevx + Windows Defender Beta is IMO an useless combination.
    And remember beta's are for beta-testers only, although nobody cares about that anymore.
    One day, they will use housewives as alpha-testers. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Windows Defender has been beta for what, a year now? It's not getting finished anytime soon...

and I agree, with Prevx1 and ST Windows Defender is useless. Don't bother.

7. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Actually Windows Defender Beta is not a beta technically, it use to be a great AS by GAINT which Acquired by Windows. Just that is Windows' draggy culture(ie. Vista), plus the make it badter project team, end up badst antispyware.

Housewives as alpha-testers, not a bad idea. Software should be made more user friendly and not make our life more defficult. ;)

8. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Some said, read the history, you will know GAINT & Sunbelt-software CounterSpy came from same ROOT. Don't know it is true?

But you can see how well CounterSpy doing now. CounterSpy keep it up!

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

This was certainly true for Microsoft Anti-Spyware, but once they re-wrote it to make Windows Defender a lot of issues were introduced. The scanning engine may (or may not) be the same, but the rest of the program is different now. I can tell you that every so often we get support inquiries that are resolved by removing Windows Defender, and sometimes it was working just fine for months before.

The deal with Sunbelt was that they licensed the program from GIANT, and basically just rebranded it. GIANT was the original, Sunbelt was a "partner" that licensed it (at least the engine, if not the full software). Now they use the same engine, but both Sunbelt and MS have customized the rest so they're different programs now.

CounterSpy is definitely a good program, although one issue that's starting to arise with pretty much every AS is that they're all starting to do enough behavior blocking that they're starting to overlap and conflict. As such I would recommend treading lightly with anti-spyware software, and really consider whether you actually need it. As for Windows Defender, if you do want to use it I would wait until it goes final. Ultimately they're going to have to put some effort into making it compatible with others if they're going to bundle it in with Vista.

10. ErikAlbert

I don't agree with you.
    Beta versions were only available for beta-testers in the past. Nowadays most beta versions are available for all users. If the user is smart enough he knows that the word "beta" means that the software can cause problems in normal circumstances and he will avoid using beta versions.
    Once the word beta is removed in the software name, the user knows that he can use it safely.

You know incidently the history of Windows Defender, but that doesn't mean that every user in the world knows that history. For those users the word "beta" is a warning.
    At work we never install beta softwares on our production machines.

11. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Thank Notok on clearify on this, i learn something today. I agree Windows Defender need to work harder. And i believe WD can do better, although GAINT own by MS now, unless all the GAINT develope team left.

i agree with you, me too never install beta softwares on my production pc.

what i tried to say is, is good to have difference type of beta-testers try out a under develope software. One can be a expert to debug a software, but still will overlook some of the minor issue, example GUI usability, installation/config user friendliness...

back to real world, some of the retail software are still buggy, but they are still on the shelf. you bought it, close one eye use it or wait for them give your the patcher to fix it. and you know to they will patch & patch & patch, till you tired. then they will announ new version is available. LOL

12. ErikAlbert

At Wilders we have a mixture of different users, going from newbies to experts and that is a problem sometimes, which is very normal.
    Many of us are qualified to do beta-testing and report bugs. I'm not one of them, but I can't recommend a beta version to a newbie.
    Well we agree, so the discussion is closed. :D

13. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

E-A
    I'm interested in being alpha-tested by housewives.
    How do I apply?

14. ErikAlbert

We don't have such housewives in Belgium. Only housewives with o-legs and x-legs to play oxo.

15. cheater87

its out of beta will it be ok now?

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'd drop Windows Defender from the setup.Whether it's beta or final.

17. cheater87

ok i'll stay with the other two

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Farmerlee may have a good point there.
    I installed Prevx1 yesterday and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!
    It may indeed be "sufficient protection".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.