Are shelduled tasks being updated when you change options?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Niels, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear

I shelduled 3 tasks afterwards I went to the options (tools,options) and I checked the verify backup option together with some other options concerning how to compress the backup's. Now my question did Acronis applied these changes also to these previous made shelduled tasks? I couldn't find it in the manual or I missed that part. I use Acronis True Image 11 Home Dutch version. To be sure I verify the backup's manually afterwards.

Thanks in advance.
    Best regards
    Niels

2. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

I can't tell you if they update or not, but I can suggest that verifying is largely a waste of time and will double the time required to make the backup. The only verify that matters at all is done with the restore disk, and even that won't accurately predict if the restore will work or not. The only real verify is to successfully restore.

Second after doubling the time to make the file, increasing compression will also add much more time. Perhaps 25% or more to the backup, and will reduce space only about 10% or so. Hardly worth the time.

You might want to manually verify the first few backups to make yourself feel better, but that is no assurance they will actually work till you try them. I have only had one defective backup in all the time I've used Acronis. I haven't verified in years, now. Many others too. Think about it and do what works for you.

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear Ray Clare,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I don't think that the changes were applied. I took a look at the logbook and there wasn't any mention that a verification took place after the backup process. I suppose that applies also to the other options.

Best regards
    Niels

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Niels,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that if you scheduled the task to run with default options (as explained in chapter 5.2.7 "Selecting the backup options" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide), it will use the options set in Tools->Options. If those options are changed, so will be the task.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear Acronis Support,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.
    I also enabled verify backup but I couldn't find it in the logbook that it took place? Or is that an option that only works on new created tasks?

Best regards
    Niels

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Niels,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please make sure the task was created with "Use default options", not with "Set the options manually" choice.
    If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Dear Acronis,

In my testing, when you change email notifications under options, it most certainly does not retroactively change in scheduled tasks that you have already created. This caused me a lot of heartache until I figured it out. You can see by examining the actual scripts that the email information is hard coded into the script. Using a variable in the script for the email information would have been better IMO.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It certainly does look like the options are written into the tis file when it is created. Or perhaps the custom options, at least are being hard-coded?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Dear Acronis Support,

I changed the settings in the options menu. It's not a big deal I explore the backup's that I made so I also know that there aren't any problems with. Thanks again for your reply.

Best regards
    Niels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.