Are Paid AVs adding anything to security?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I posted this on Castle Cops, but would like to get as much input as possible.

I have used both Counterspy, and Spysweeper. I have also trialed Spyware Doctor.

I am now using CS as a scanner only
    None has found anything of any consequence, and most have been FP.

Is anyone here aware of any tests that indicates that AS applications, other than the common freebies, really add anything to security?
    I am using KAV 6 and Ewido plus SG, SB, AdAware, and Spybot.

I have not lately been running the paid AS as active protection, and when I run a scan nothing shows up.

The cost of the paid AVs is not very much, and especially when you find rebates and specials. If they do add some tangible level of security they are worth it. So far, I have not found them to add anything.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

JerryM

With KAV, Ewido and SB- assume this is Spyware Blaster, you got excellent protection right there.I'd use 'Windows Defender' if it's still free because it's from the makers of Counterspy.IMO, AdAware has become a waste of space compared to the other scanners, but keep Spybot- it's free.He is another freebie that would compliment your setup. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I am about to conclude also that AdAware is not adding anything.
    I have almost a year's license for Counterspy.
    I tried Windows Defender, but I had some issue, and removed it. I don't even remember what the issue was.

Jerry

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Not really, they don't.
    There's a lot of hype and fear in the air, but it's usually the small things that do the magic rather than big heavy gunnery = paid av scanners. But at least they are trying to help. You can live without them, and happily too.
    Mrk

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There seems to be a difference between the paid KAV and AVG Free in detection rates, so you are better of with the paid KAV, than AVG Free.
    Personally, I'm trying to get rid of all my scanners in the future for many reasons. :)

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    There's a difference between Mercedes SLK 550 and Fiat Punto. Does that mean that the latter won't get you home safely?
    Detection rates of AV have nothing to do with getting infected or not. There will always be malware that scanners won't detect - and relying blindly on the results of a scan, well ...
    Mrk

P.S. Unless the A(V) is a typo in the first post, but the same applies for A(S).

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally prefer to relegate the protection of my computer to a paid security software. Usually but not always you get better detection and customer support, it really depends which paid security software you decide to use though. but I have found over the years that you do almost invariably get better protection with a paid subscription security software. But the decision as to how much and what kind of security you run is strictly a personal choice. And we all hope we make the right choice.

bigc

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Needed or not, if no one pays, we won't have to worry about using the software. There won't be any software to use.

9. rafael

rafael Registered Member

In my opinion, paid security softwares offer better protection for average computer users.

Those who are well- experienced and practice common sense, even the free security softwares will be good enough.

Again, there is no software ( free or paid ) or combination of many that can ensure 100% effectiveness when it comes to security. Most often these are only as good as their latest updates.

Last edited: May 28, 2006
  10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes the A(V) was a typo. I did not notice it for awhile.
    I think that the AV is the core of security, but layering is also necessary.

Jerry

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

BigC,
    Have you actually found that AS finds anything? My own limited experience, compared to yours and others here, is that when I scan with Counterspy, or Spysweeper they never find anything. I used them as real time protection, and in time used them for on demand scans only to see if their real time protection was the reason that they never picked up anything.

Whether they run in real time or just on demand they have never found any spyware or other malware.

I do not object to paying for software in general. My question is not related to cost so much as whether they really add anything to the overall security of the system. That is especially true when one has a good AV and also Ewido Plus which I have.

Thanks,
    Jerry

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

spyware scanners dont really add much to security. with antiviruses and antitrojans covering more spyware then ever, their use is limted.

as for paid AV vs free AV, it can make a difference. for risky surfers, people use p2p and such, the extra definitions of an AV like KAV would likely detect malware where others wouldnt.

and IMO, the car comparison wasnt that good. a better comparison would be one car with only seatbelts and another one with both seatbelts and airbags. if u drive safely, either car would be fine. but if u get in a crash, having airbags could save you. if you can make a better simile/metaphor, please do.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

AVs should look for all kinds of crapware but, I would not want to use only an AV for total coverage of all malware.

As for AdAware Plus even at the $19.95 I paid for it years ago :p what a waste and a disappointment that has turned out to be. :(

On the other hand BoClean :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Best purchase I ever made.

As for AV's I have funny rotating around. :) On this product long term licenses are not for me.

Perhaps this is why I just can not get into suites personally but they sure have their place for the average user who does not want to be bothered. ;)

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature WSFuser I agree, paid Spyware needs to be a part of Firewall or just be part of AV defs. or AT programs.

As a stand alone paid product IMHO they will not make it. Their appeal to the security minded is just to limited and the average user will not pay for seperate Spyware without hugh marketing budget which I think will fail anyway as AntiSpyware is added to other security products more and more. Really we are there already there the battle is already over. ;)

15. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Let me play devil's advocate for just a minute here: a party I've done e-mail with for some time (and he's frequent beta tester and all round sharp cookie, IMO) made a comment damning with faint praise, perhaps, that it's actually a bit on pathetic side that our free and paid security apps have, perhaps, a 50-75% success rate overall at beating the bad guys. And this is often well after the fact - a point Prevx makes in their ads, as do many others I'm certain (and I am not singling out any one co., when I say that).

There would appear to be no real "killer app" (security-wise) on the horizon and I have tried/or bought many a program over time as I'm sure many of you have.

It would seem therefore, that the bad guys are actually ahead of the game, "winning" and we are all catching up as it were and now have been trained to pay for our stuff, every yr., that may or may not work when you really need it. * Re bad guys winning, the ****heads writing CW variants almost weekly, and a dung beetle type spammer killing Bluefrog(?), come to mind off-hand.

So... whatcha' think? Is anyone out there crafting end all be all security app that'll make us slap our foreheads someday, and make us wonder why no one had thought of it before?

SG1 (Pat), wondering aloud, on a three day (holiday) weekend.

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.