Are on-demand scans required?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Helm_local, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

Hi,

Here's the scenario:

New build PC with ESS or EAV loaded up and running the on-access scanner, and being constantly updated over the internet.

Question:
    If every new file written to the hard drive is now scanned by the on-access scanner, then theoretically there is no need to run/schedule any future on-demand disc scan.

Is this true? Why do people still appear to perform scheduled full-disc scans?

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

2. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Because the scanner might miss the virus when it was downloaded (No scanner is 100%) When you do a on demand scan later it could pick-up the missed virus. Just my 2 cents worth. I do a full system scan weekly.

3. Helm_local

Helm_local Registered Member

A bit of a worry if this is true, i.e. the on-access scanner may miss threats, isn't that what we're actually paying it to do??

Any answers from someone within ESETo_O

Mike

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since the startup scans check files that are run at system startup, malware that might be potentially running should be discovered immediately after an update which already recognizes that malware. However, it's a good practice to run a full disk scan from time to time when the computer is idle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.