Are Old Backups Deleted Automatically?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gestone, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gestone

gestone Registered Member

I'm using a dedicated external drive for my ATI Backups. I have a task to perform a periodic full backup and a task to perform more frequent incremental backups. When the disk eventually fills up, will ATI automatically recover disk soace by deleting the old backups, or is this something I have to manage manually? Do I have to use Secure Zone to make this happen automatically?

Thank you,

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gestone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you schedule the back up creation to a regular partition you need to give the name of the image file. Each time Acronis True Image will replace the old file with this name with the new one.

If you store the image to Acronis Secure Zone and it fills up the oldest image is deleted automatically.

Thus in both cases you don't need to worry about the problem with the free space.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. gestone

gestone Registered Member

Thank you for the quick response.

4. Beach

Beach Registered Member

>When you schedule the back up creation to a regular partition you need to >give the name of the image file. Each time Acronis True Image will replace >the old file with this name with the new one.

Ilya-
    Then can I just do a complete image nightly(at work) every night instead of doing incrementals?? The reason I got TI8 was so if a system crashed and I am not near a customer, he/she could boot from the rescue CD, have it find the backup server, and restore. But I worry that they will restore from the wrong increment.
    I would much rather do a full every night instead. Would I just call it the same name under "schedule??"

5. Acronis Support

Hello Beach,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Yes, you may create full backup each night and the new image file will replace the old one each night.

Let me explain the purpose of the incremental backups for I suppose it is not quite clear. For example, you have the computer with the new operational system without any additional software installed. You create the full image of this clean install. After that you install antivirus software and some most important programs and create the first incremental image. Then you may create incremental images after every change inthe software environment. If you got a virus at some step or spoil the system with some incorrect action you may easily roll back restoring the image that was created just before the system crashed. If you have only the full image you won't be able to choose the stage to which you want to roll back.

If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Ilya-
    My fault here, I should have explained a bit better. The office that I have TI8 setup in right now, isn't connected to the internet. Its just a small LAN with about 10 workstations. I have the server backing up FULL once a week, incrementals during the week. So as far as a virus, I'm not worried in that sense.
    What I need is to set the backup server so that in case of a crash, they can boot up with the rescue CD, find the 'backup', and just restore.....all this without me being there. (at the time, I am working with Anton with the rescue CD problem)
    So in this particular case, I am not worried about yesterday's image being bad.
    I want to make it as easy as possible for my client to just restore from a single image instead of finding the right incremental. Thanks again.

Jim

7. Acronis Support

Hello Jim,

I can recommend that you either schedule "special" full back up for your clients for example once a week and this back up your clients will restore in emergency case. Or you may try to explain that after they choose oneof the image files (it doesn't matter which) they should choose the latest one and restore it. Acronis True Image will find the necessary images itself.

If I didn't answer your question please explain what you want to do and I will try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Beach

Beach Registered Member

Ilya--
    So can they just pick any increment and restore from there?? I was under the impression that it would restore from that increment backwards. (thus the next increments would not be restored) Thanks again.

Jim

9. Acronis Support

Hello Jim,

After they choose the image file (any of the set) they will be displayed the list of possible points from which they can restore. If they choose the latest date every time they will restore the latest back up.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.