Are Multiple Win2K installations really independant??

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by chasingmytail, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chasingmytail

chasingmytail Registered Member

Comp-P4 2M Ram, 4 hard disks, using Norton Utils 2005 and Inet Security 2005. Installed W2K on my first primary partition, all well, installed disk dir in that partition, all well, made a second primary, with DD on the first HD and a Logical 500M partition on the second HD and put OSSEL in there. All fine, installed a second installation of W2K in the second Primary on the 1st HD, boot from floppy etc. then bios to boot from CD, installation went fine. Seemed to have independant installations. Now the fun part. I can put a new printer in the first installation, but no way in the second, either from an installation disk or from the built-in setup inf, probs with my documents and things. Isit norton, is it something I'm doing, is the prog not truely making independant partitions, all the switches are where the manual says they should be, so whats going on?.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chasingmytail,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Acronis OS Selector creates absolutely independent copies of Windows installations. Could you please describe what are your actions and what error you encounter when you install new printer? Also please let us know whether you installed the second copy of Windows on another partition (that still should have been marked as C:).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. chasingmytail

chasingmytail Registered Member

Installed W2K on a 10G Partition, then Norton Utils and Norton AV and updated windows via the UD site. Installed DD and created a 2nd primary partition on the HD, 30G and a fat partition, logical, 500M as the first partition on the 2nd HD. Installed OS selector in this partition, since I want 4 primaries on the first HD. In the properties section of the W2K installation I selected enable for the folders, and changeable for the files and force hiding partitions. In the Boot from floppy properties I hid the first HD partition and checked the force hiding box, then selected boot from floppy-no floppy found, reset computer, change bios to boot from CD and select the created partition as the target, the previous installation shows as unpartitioned space. Installation goes smoothly, at re-boot i change the bios back to normal, in the OS selector window I enable and hide folders and files as before then boot via the new OS Icon and continue the installation. Norton installed, reprts it cannot ud several components, adding a printer from the OS printer selection panel the installation fails, from aCD a similar attempt hangs part way through. Other installation attempts, netscape navigator v4.8 report that the prgramme is not suitable for W2K and goes no further. various other anti spyware and security programs seem to be seeing their installations in other partitions as well and keep saying things are corrupt, even Nero says things have happened and demands a re-installation. Mybe its a simple thing, maybe I want to do something that cant be done, but it's been a long time to get to the point of having four cranky installations that almost work and i'm not happy about going back to square one without any hope of getting the set-up I want. Any help would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.