Are multiple Secure Zones possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Hanker65, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanker65

Hanker65 Registered Member

I would like to create three different Secure Zones on an external USB drive. Each Secure Zone would be for imaginging each of my three computers.

It appears though in my opinion, that (at least with True Image :cool: you cannot force a Secure Zone to a partition, even if separate partions were expressely created for the Secure Zones.

Has anybody have any suggestions? :rolleyes:

2. dld

dld Registered Member

Actually Acronis does not recommend creating a Secure Zone on an external drive. See here.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you need to separate your .tib-files, create a folder for each computer on your external harddisk. :)
    Call them :
    Secure Zone #1
    Secure Zone #2
    Secure Zone #3

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

1 (in)secure zone is too many if one is using external drives for backup.

I keep track of things by appropriately naming each base tib file.
    No need for separate directories.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Hanker65,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that if there is an Acronis Secure Zone on the hard disk, then Acronis True Image will only allow you to manage it, but not to create another one.

Also as you can see from the FAQ article provided by dld the reason why we do not recommend to create the Acronis Secure Zone on a detachable drive is Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (if activated). Therefore, if you create Acronis Secure Zone on detachable drive and will not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager there will not be any problems.

You can use ErikAlbert suggestion and create separate folder for each computer backup files. You can also use partition manager program such as Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 to create partitions on you external hard drive to store backup archives.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. Reposed

Reposed Registered Member

Multiple Secure zones would be useful for this reason:

I have a relatively full local drive and creating a backup area in a local SecureZone is not practical. I however have a SecureZone partition of 39mb with just SRM on it for convenience (and the fact I don't want to rely solely on a boot disk to recover from a disaster).

However, I would like to be able to also create a Secure Zone on my USB drive so:
    1. backups will be automatically managed by TI
    2. I can make Snap Restores from my external drive.

7. bottom

bottom Registered Member

hm,
    the ASZ has just two properties:
    a) it contains the startup manager
    b) it's hidden -> so You (or a virus) can neither see nor
    access it directly ...

as far as i know the secure zone is just a standard NTFS partition
    with a special format-flag, which is unknown to e.g. windows
    that's why windows ignores this partition and doesn't try to mount/display it...
    (some1 correct me if i'm wrong)

as You'll probably won't need feature a) on Your external drive
    You could just create 3 hidden partitions with a partitioning tool
    (e.g. DD or Partition Magic) and specify them as target for Your
    TI backup task...

don't know if Your whished points 1 and 2 can be done this way

bottom

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Reposed,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First, please let me to correct bottom's perly. Please note that Acronis Secure Zone uses FAT32 as file system and any other supported file systems will be converted to FAT32 automatically when creating/resizing Acronis Secure Zone. Also when you select the backup stored in Acronis Secure Zone it will be showed as one piece, even if this backup is spitted into several files (due to FAT32 maximum file size restriction). Additional information can be found in the Chapter 3.3 "Acronis Secure" in the Acronis True Image User Guide. This thread might also be useful.

Regarding your question about two or more Acronis Secure Zones on one Computer:

Please note that if there is an Acronis Secure Zone on the hard disk, then Acronis True Image will only allow you to manage it, but not to create another one on this hard drive. However, you still can connect another hard disk with an Acronis Secure Zone on it and Acronis True Image will allow you to save image archive to any of the Acronis Secure Zones as well as restore, explore or verify them later.

In order to create second Acronis Secure Zone to be used on the same computer you should first unplug the hard drive with the existing Acronis Secure Zone. If the first Acronis Secure Zone is created on the system disk you can unplug this drive, plug the drive where you what to create another Acronis Secure Zone, boot your computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD and create Acronis Secure Zone on that drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.