Are Most Users Satisfied???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Chamlin, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

I just downloaded v11 to try but am a bit intimidated by all the problems I see reported here and by purchasers of v10 at Amazon, about images not working right or restores failing. I recognize that forums are FOR resolving problems and that's what gets emphasized, so I guess the question is:
    • Are most of you using TI for imaging and backing up files successfully?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. hfhlt004

hfhlt004 Registered Member

I purchased Acronis 10 home at Amazon Sept 1 before I found out that version 11 was coming out. I installed it last week, Sept 15, and have yet to get it to work properly. I backed up on DVDs, but could not restore. I could not get a handle on some of the functions. I now am trying to get Acronis to respond by e-mail or chat, and don't seem to be able to. I don't know if I can return the boxed product and get Acronis 11 without further charges. I would not buy another box or download just to end up with the same problems. What do people suggest. At this point, I am just about ready to write it off as a bad purchase, but don't appreciate the lack of help from Acronis.

Bob

4. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I have been using True Image since version 6 and have rarely had a problem. What very few problems I have had, and they were very minor, tech support was quick to respond and help me resolve them. The later versions, v. 8-11 have been trouble-free. I now don't even think twice about upgrading when a new version is released.

No software application is going to work perfectly for everyone given the vast array of hardware being used and how individuals configure/tweak their systems. But I would confidently say that the vast majority of True Image users are very satisfied with the program. Making a decision to buy or upgrade based strictly upon Support Forum messages would be foolish since 99% of the posters have issues and need help. But comparing what you find here on the forum to those who never need help, you would find this forum represents a very small minority of True Image users.

That's my 2 cents.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There are some regulars here who use DVDs to backup. I do not use them myself so I cannot help. If no one comes along it may be better to start a new thread with details of your specific problems. Otherwise it could get buried here.

Xpilot

6. GAN

GAN Registered Member

You should use the trial and test everything to see if it's working ok for you before you buy it. If you find it to work just fine i think it's a nice product and not very expensive. If you find some problems you cannot accept you shouldn't buy it since the fix might never be released or it might take a very long time. I'm not impressed with the support and not happy about what seems to be some kind of "forcing people to buy a upgrade or use version 10 as it is".

I never had a problem where backup fail or is corrupted and neither had problems with restore. I had the program hang several times when closing the application and also windows explorer crash every time when i browse large backup files from windows explorer. I don't think buying a upgrade to TI11 is an option for me though. I'll rather switch to another backup program i think.

I think the main problem is the company and the support and not the product. I don't think it's more more buggy then other software, but if you have some problems you might find it hard to get any help or updates to solve the problem from Acronis.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have been using Acronis since version 6 with only one or two minor problems ( resolved). Very satisified. I use various versions on different machines. Have made and restored hundreds of images without issue.

FWIW it seems to me that either Acronis can cope with a hardware configuration
    and so it works or Acronis is not compatible. There is no half way house.

I have advised large numbers of clients to try it out and only a very small number have had problems.

8. random110

random110 Registered Member

I've never had any serious problems with Acronis True Image 10 Home or 9.1 Workstation.

Once I had an image fail to validate, but i was still able to mount it and extract the files i needed. :)

9. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Thanks, this is very helpful. Just wanted to get some good vibes on the product. Will try it. I bought Symantec's Save & Restore ($9 after rebate) and put it on my old PC to check out but it doesn't really allow for much configuration. I want the flexibility of either TI or Ghost, but have vowed to never again install any Symantec product.

Will be back with questions about imaging in general once I start playing.

Peace,
    Chamlin

10. plettner

plettner Registered Member

I have been using True Image since 8. It's by no means a perfect product. I bought v10 a while ago hoping it would back up the files and items it said it would such as program settings and e-mails, etc. I could never get it to go and backup these items. It would back up and restore partitions however, just not the settings of programs. I think they release an update to fix those problems. But haven't bothered to try. I've written off v10 as a bad pruchase. :(

I would say with the number of version upgrades that Acronis put out and the bugs that are not fixed, I would say I am less than satisfied.

11. appster

appster Registered Member

While I haven't tried TI v11, here are my thoughts (fwiw) on TI v10...

With WinXP, my answer to your question is YES (except for lack of an option to create a sector-by-sector image).

With Vista, my answer to your question is absolutely NOT - because of the Restore issue (noted elsewhere in this forum).

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Contact Acronis support with invoice info and you should qualify for a free v11 update. Don't delay. Register your new v11 serial number and then you can download any v11 release build at your convenience.

Best that you un-install any release of True Image Home before re-installing.

13. hfhlt004

hfhlt004 Registered Member

I wanted to add that I received a reply from Acronis this AM, and they sent me a serial number for a free upgrade to v11.

14. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

IMO the way to go is to partition your disk, backup onto the partition and then copy/burn this to dvd.
    Using Acronis and imaging to external media is a total disaster (you'll be one of them many to have corrupted files).
    Lonny

15. gww528

gww528 Registered Member

Acronis TI works good for me and their tech support is very good. They e-mail tech support will stick with you until your problem is cleared up.

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just shows how different our experiences can be. I have 11 different external drives ( E-sata, Freecom usb etc) and they all work fine. only once had a problem and that was with version 7 I think and it was caused by a bad USB cable. I did use DVD for daily images of system and data until a few years ago
    but with external drives now so cheap I now only use DVDs for recording TV movies etc.

17. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

Am a long time, very satisfied user since version 6. Have gotten all the versions since then. However - I do not ever do backup imaging. I prefer to clone the drive and have a dupolicate drive ready to go with no restoration required. I have been doing this long before Acronis existed. I used to use DriveCopy by Powerquest. Then along came TI and it was faster.

Also, I always do my cloning with the bootable rescue media - never from within Windows. I like it to be OS independent.

Am very satisfied with version 11 - no longer do I have to repair the boot sector for a Vista drive.

18. StardustOne

StardustOne Registered Member

TI 11 does not work how it should. It crashes a lot and freezes. I wanted to restore data from an USB drive, first it did see it, then it crashed later. Now it does not see the USB drive anymore.

The acronis boot recovery CD is useless because it doesn't even support the ULI Raid chip M1575 and I did not hear from support since I filed the two most severe issues this Sunday. Yes it can copy and clone a Vista drive now but that about does it.

This new TI 11 version is a joke.

19. woscar

woscar Registered Member

I recently purchased True Image 10 & Disk Director 10 in the boxed versions. We only have access to very slow dialup, so downloading large programs isn't an acceptable option. I made the decision to buy based on a couple of "guru" newsletters that I receive and some magazine reviews. I also emailed Acronis support to ask a couple of questions about issues with RAID 0 and external drive backup. Their response was quick and informative.
    I installed the software and partitioned the external drive and began imaging the hard drive with daily incremental images. I've felt pretty secure until last weekend when I wound up in a fiasco while trying to change security suites. The old one was removed and the new one installed, but then died every time Outlook Express tried to connect. I had 8 IM Chats with the new suite's tech support. They had me reinstall, etc., then took over and tried some tricks of their own. When I rebooted, XP insisted it wasn't genuine, many programs wouldn't open, I couldn't write to any external drives, etc.
    I felt secure, knowing I had the backups. I did have problems getting TI up because my mouse wouldn't work, but finally resolved those. I couldn't figure out how to restore, so I printed out the manual from the laptop I'm using now. That still left me with questions, so I emailed Acronis several days ago, using their internal system. So far, the only response has been the automated "We have received your message." I gues they're tied up with all the problems with Version 11. It looks like I'm going to have to pay for support to answer what are probably basic questions for most folks, but I'm not particularly happy about that concept. I'll contine to scroll through these messages and hope to figure out exactly how to restore my system.

20. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have just rolled my system back a couple of days to get rid of Version 11 completely. It was coming up with various wobbles and when it could not run two consecutive scheduled backups that was the last straw.
    At least Version 10 is rock solid on my XP SP2 PC.

Xpilot

21. 1ondon

1ondon Registered Member

I'm giving Version 11 a go too. But in a few days I'll be restoring using my secure zone back to V10. Every time a new version comes out we get more bells and whistles, a new, hopelessly thought-out GUI and no backwards compatability.

A total joke.

Lon

22. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I have been using TI since V1.0 (when they called it 'Deluxe' :D), and it has worked fine for me. Currently using V10.

However, Acronis release a new version every Autumn. Don't expect the bugs to be ironed out until the new year. What you see in the forum at the moment is like groundhog day for every version ever released. We are all effectively paying Beta customers and it has always been thus. Acronis get away with it I think because there are currently no real challengers in the market but I expect this will change in the next year or two.

Therefore, unless you are mad, it is generally not worth upgrading until the new year, and only if a) you desperately think you need some new bell or whistle they have added; or b) your hardware is so new that the existing version of TI (e.g. the Linux drivers which ship with it) is not compatable with it.

If you want reliability you should always prove the your DR works by doing a restore on your system partition after installation, and whenever you make changes to your hardware.

F.

23. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I am new to "restoring." I bought TI10 only 2 months ago. I have used it to restore my Vista (3 times) with no problems and I didn't have to do any kind of fix either. I used it on my XP twice. I like the program and found it easy to use and understand. It has been very reliable. So, thus far I am very happy.

Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.