Are Default Settings Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by GreekGuy, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreekGuy

GreekGuy Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a long-time Kaspersky Internet Security user that's giving Webroot a try.

Just wondering whether the default settings are good enough for day-to-day surfing and gaming. Or, do you guys recommend making any tweaks?

As well, do I need to add a third-party firewall or is Webroot's firewall (coupled with the default Win 7 firewall) good enough?

Thanks for you advice,

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Season to taste. XD

The default settings are "Optimal" for everyday use. Set and Forget and it just does its stuff. Power users and some special cases may warrant different settings, but they are not necessary. Of course changing settings will have effects that you need to account for ("Warn on everything" would create more warnings, for example, so you shouldn't complain that it's popping up too many messages if you told it to pop up too many messages. ;) )

I personally use default and Windows 7 firewall. Since the Windows firewall does have port-level and process-level controls now, it works fine for me. Usually it's a matter of pummeling the firewall into submission. :/ I used to use Signal 9 firewall as a network firewall but that's quite long ago dead.

Poke through the settings and see if any catch your eye. Make sure you take the side effects and main effects into consideration when you set them. Then set it as you like. Or just ignore them, leave it at default, and you're still set.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

and ask here if you are un-shure of what a setting does there are many people here who will help you out!!

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's worth noting that there are "settings" and "advanced settings". If changes are made to advanced settings and then a slider is moved on the settings page the changes on the advanced page may be undone (if memory serves).

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct there is a default button so if you select a settings and are not sure you could always click the default button.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.