Are Comodo D+ and Appguard is same concept ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by southcat, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Greeting. I always see Appguard mention in wilders, but i don't really understand what is it.:doubt:

I am using Comodo Defense+ for years already, I am thinking Appguard and Comodo D+ is same, if not what is the difference ?

Thank you.

Regards

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry, D+ and AEM = double, D+ and AEM and Spyshelter = tripple protection, think about skipping instead of adding

On tops Sandboxie on demand is really paranoid setup

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard is similar to DefenseWall. Both classify applications into one of two camps: safe or unsafe, and apply an appropriate set of policy restrictions depending on the level of risk the application poses for exploitation by malware. Examples of unsafe applications are programs that are Internet-facing and programs used to load data files that could contain malicious embedded executable code.

An essential difference between AppGuard and D+ is that D+ can be configured so that any behaviour that the HIPS is designed to monitor will cause an alert to be displayed, allowing the user the choice to allow or deny. This allows the user the option to create a highly granular policy for each application. The HIPS may initially be quite noisy though while the policies are being defined.

With AppGuard, the policies for safe and unsafe applications are pre-determined. All the user has to do is to classify each application as either safe or unsafe. All behaviour exhibited by an application that violates the chosen policy will be automatically blocked without any option for the user to allow. The blocked behaviour will be logged in the Windows event log and the AppGuard alert panel. Customisation is available within the GUI to modify the way AppGuard works if AppGuard does interfere with the proper functioning of an application, although this doesn't happen that often.

4. flamerz

flamerz Registered Member

i think it would be useful to have a table of equivalences in wilders :)

5. southcat

Thank you very much:thumb: it is very clear :D

Sometimes i also think D+ is quite annoying, maybe someday i will turn off D+ to give Appguard a try.

Thanks again

Regards

6. karad

karad Registered Member

I've used for a long time CIS5+Returnil in pc1 and Sandboxie+Returnil with on demand AV in pc2.

I used very carefully pc1 while pc2 was for all 'risky' things.

After 1 year usage it turns out that the only infected pc-albeit with a very minor,only annoying,infection (BABYLON) was computer 1.

Considering moreover the threat posed by MBR rootkits I decided to switch both computers to a

AppGuard + Sandboxie + Shadow Defender

protection, with an antivirus just on demand which i use when i feel like it alongside Superantispyware , MBAM,MBAR (for rootkits) and TDDS Kaspersky.

Using TZU tips to make Sandboxie work fine with AppGuard I am very pleased by the combination,as Appguard protects the MBR as well, while i never could find the explicit admission CIS5 or 6 could do it.

I still use Comodo's firewall,so I didnt give up completely on receiving alerts, but my pc seems mute now in comparison to the chatty CIS....

I guess the combination of the 3 outlined above plus a router can keep the doctor away for at least 2013 for a small fee.

7. southcat

Thanks for your precious experience.:thumb: :thumb:

I am using Comodo product for more than five years already, i don't have the experience with other HIPS or Policy-Restriction Programs. Every year i will review my computer security configuration, i might replace antivirus or anti-malware or add something but i never consider to change Comodo Firewall and D+.

Recently i am examining my security setup again. I still have faith in Comodo Firewall, but the Defense+ i want to know is it still ok ? that's why i am asking around for the performance of other HIPS or some policy-restriction software.

Is anyone can share your experience as well ?

Regards

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I tried to install Appguard, but I seems don't work with Defense+ ( obviously I gave all the allow to Ag ): after the reboot Windows isn't able to boot, and it reboots itself once and once again.

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Even if they can be made to work together without conflicting, I don't believe you would be gaining much by running both of them. Both are effective on their own and the choice between them is largely a question of personal preference as they have slightly different goals. If you prefer strong silent security that stays in the background without bothering you, or involving you in decision making, then choose AppGuard. If you prefer a more visible interactive approach that allows highly granular policies to be defined, and puts you firmly in control, then choose Defense+.

Just my personal view. :)

10. blacknight

Thanks :) : I use mainly the HIPS, but I'm searching an alternative for GesWall, I read here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348894 and I would want to give a chance to Appguard...

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The closest applications to GeSWall are AppGuard and DefenseWall. I used to use Defense+ but stopped using it when I switched to AppGuard. AppGuard partners very well with a light virtualization utility, e.g. Shadow Defender. The combination of system-wide virtualization and policy restriction makes for a good security setup IMO.

12. blacknight

Ya, but I wish to combine Defense+ and Appguard. Seems successful for someone.

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

What I like in Defencewall - you don't need to tweak it. Though it's for 32-bit OS only.

I've never used AppGuard seriously. So can't say here anything new except you can use it for 32-bit and 64-bit OS.

As for D+ I've been using it for about a month on my 2 main PC with HIPS in Paranoid and HIPS alerts in Verbose mode (BB off, TVL off). It gives highest possible granularity. There are almost no popups. Sometimes I check "Don't show popup alerts" with "Block requests" and the same for the FW (with "Very High" alert frequency level). Some kind of "PC Lockdown Mode" with the highest granularity in HIPS and FW.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

A few months ago when I still used AppGuard, I used it with COMODO FW, but just the behavior blocker; I had Def+ disabled, but it still worked, including the sandboxing.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hello,

Im using comodo firewall v 5.12 with the defense+ enabled and i find it works perfectly for my needs.
    I dont download and install a lot of software so i hardly if ever get any alerts and i like this version better than the new one.

Im going to stick with this firewall for as long as i can as it simply works with my other apps nicely and does not cause any issues.

The CPU usage on the new version was too high for my liking and was causing spikes.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.