Are all these services legit?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BlackScarletLove, Mar 15, 2015.

1. BlackScarletLove

BlackScarletLove Registered Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I am having problems on my computer with Windows Search not working, slowness of operation, certain applications not being able to access the internet, comodo security service refusing to start. i have tried many different cleaning programs and malware programs under advisement from someone at techspot, and nothing has been found.

However I notice that booting into safemode solves almost everything. I have disabled almost everything in msconfig startup folder in normal windows and restarted, but no use. Then I looked at all the services running, and realized that I don't know if they are all legit. What do you guys think of this list? does anything pop out at you as being suspicious, or useless that I can disable to solve some of these problems?

Attached Files:

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Sep 13, 2014
    Seems like you need to clean it up, too much stuff running, and the useless Spybot running. But I don't see a 'real' antivirus running, so you are probably infected.

1) Run Bleachbit w/community INI (in preferences), then CCleaner + CCleaner Registry Cleaner.
    2) Reset Internet Options in Control Panel.
    3) Pare down startup., change to selective startup instead of 'normal'. Disable useless junk.
    4) Run MBAM Free, clean stuff up.
    5) Install Zemana Anti-Malware 2 15 day trial, run that, clean up, then uninstall it.
    6) Run Norton Power Eraser, let it clean up.

Then restart a few times, and you should be good. If not run's all-in-one Windows Fixing Tool.
  3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

May 16, 2013
    That image shows the IIS web server running. That is a legit MS service, but it shouldn't be running on a desktop; if you didn't set it up yourself, then you should probably assume the system is compromised.

I'll defer to the network security people as to what you should do from there. I would personally lean towards formatting, reinstalling, and restoring from backups; assuming that is possible.
  4. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Registered Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Check with Comodo Cleaning Essentials -
    Killswitch will show if any processes are malicious.
    Quick repair will show if any changes on the system.
    Autorun analyzer will show if any malicious entries.

All these doesn't take much time & good to quickly know anything malicious.
    Later you can try scanners & the suggestions by experts here.
  5. KeyPer4Life

KeyPer4Life Registered Member

Dec 18, 2013
    When booting into safe mode the OS loads minimum amount of software that is required to make the OS work.
    Things like third party software or drivers. Could be why when booting into safe mode solves almost everything
    as you mentioned.

I would restore from backup if that can be done prior to these issues happening.
    Do you have bootable AV rescue cd/dvd that you could run?

To many services running which can slow operations down. Check online recommendation guidelines into
    setting Windows services on your particular OS.