Arconis True Image Home 10 and Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tommygun, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommygun

tommygun Registered Member

Hi Everybody.

Can someone of you guys tell me if Arconis True Image Home 10 will work on my Windows Vista laptop?
    And is it possible to make a complete system restore using the Recovery Boot CD and restore an image which is saved on an external hard drive for example.
    I'm used to this procedere from Norton Ghost but been told that Arconis is better than Norton and before I try it out I want to make sure it works the way I want it to.
    Please give me some advise here.

Thanks in advence.
    Tommy

2. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

do you have one of those odd pre-installed Windows', where you only get a recovery partition and not a full-install dvd?
    hmm if that's the case, what TI does would be quite similar to the recovery-files on the respective partition;
    in that case (in any case) i would switch over to TI instead, but only after you got the hang of working with it, meaning
    you have means to create a safe backup of your system; that's because i think the moment you drop this lame recovery partition(or files)
    you kind of loose the ability to restore the system the 'official' way, so you might loose Ms' support for that department

3. billynicol

billynicol Registered Member

When I bought my laptop ( a couple of weeks ago when Vista was released) I was instructed to make a back up disc, which I did. However, in a magazine there was a free Acronis 10 and I made an image (full back up) of my HP dv9288ea laptop with Acronis. I have a recovery drive/partition which I chose not to use when things went a bit wrong, as I wanted to have my installed software reinstalled too. I decided to follow the instructions and used Acronis 10 to put the computer back to an earler time - using the image from an exteral NTFS drive on FULL restore (not like a system restore).

This took about 5 hours and everything went perfectly and when it rebooted everything was and still is perfect. The Vista (Home premium, preinstalled on the laptop) was still activated when I checked and the microsoft updates happen as normal, including Office 2007 which was on there. So using Acronis TI 10 means that I genuinely got my laptop back to the way I had made it before I mucked it up with twaeking things that ought not to be tampered with.....! Thanks for Acronis - Suffice to say i am so impressed that I bought the two licence offer and have images made of my two home laptops.....

Just to let you know, I do have boot media made for them both from Acronis and have the HP backup disc that one of them said to make as well as the Vista disc for the upgraded machine, so plenty of options - but so fat Acronis is great....

Billy

4. tommygun

Hi.

Thanks for the detailed information.
    The way thinks look now I will get my new Windows Vista Ultimate laptop in between the next 2 weeks and after reading your reply I'm more confident to go with Acronis.
    If I run into trouble I'll get back to you but hopefuly that wont be nessacary.

Thanks again.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tommygun,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home fully supports Windows Vista. We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product, you will be able to fully use it for a period of 15 days. Acronis Bootable Rescue Media of the trial version will have only restore function available.
    You can learn how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home from the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. tommygun

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm still waiting for my new laptop but I tried Acronis on my Windows XP system and I like it so far.
    The Acronis Security Zone is something new compared to Ghost 10.
    I've read someting in the manual about a Snap Restore at least I think that it was called that and this apparently is not working with Vista.
    Is this correct and if yes will this be possible in the future?

Thanks again for all the replies.
    Tommy

7. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

The "Secure Zone" you referred to is ONLY to be used if you are going to back up your system on the same drive. If you don't have another internal or external drive, and you prefer not to backup to DVD/CD media, the you would use the "Secure Zone". However, it is much preferred that you backup to another HDD. Since a laptop is involved, the external HDD enclosure is your best option. Enclosures and HDD's are relatively inexpensive at the moment and are a wise investment. :cool:

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Sorry to butt-in

I am just downloading the trial version right now when I saw your response. I have Vista32 & am looking for a replacement for the inbuilt Vista backup system. I am dissapointed that the trial software appears not to be a fully working version. Please can explain exactly what is not working & how this would affect a user?

As the trial version only runs for 15 days, why turn off features?

9. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Because once the Rescue CD is made whatever features are there, you have it forever.

10. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thank you.

So I can backup & restore, including restoring a full image, or selected files & folders, but I cannot run a bare metal recovery?

11. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

From the Rescue CD, yes, since it has the Restore feature ... if you have a previously made backup that was made within the trial period.

12. stevemaser

stevemaser Registered Member

Just noticed this thread...

I can speak from experience that I've had *no* problems backing up/restoring Vista 32-bit when booted from the ATI Home 10 Rescue CD and using images stored on external USB hard disk.

Works exactly as expected.

13. tommygun

.......thanks.

14. Acronis Support

Hello tommygun,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

This is correct, in the current version of Acronis True Image the Acronis Snap Restore does not support images of Windows Vista. If any Vista edition is detected in the image, the Snap Restore option will not appear.

We do have plans to implement the Snap Restore option for Windows Vista in the future. However, at this moment the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

As for Acronis Secure Zone, I may recommend that you have a look at this previous thread <Secure Zone Necessary?> to find more information about Acronis Secure Zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

15. Acronis Support

Hello Biscuit,

Please note that as Ralphie mentioned using Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home you will be able to restore the image archive created with the trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home under Windows.

Acronis True Image 10.0 Home trial version evaluation period is 15 days. This concerns Acronis True Image under Windows. Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the trial version is not time limited and have only restore capacity.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

16. kiz

kiz Registered Member

Hi

i am trying to recover from an image created by my computer supplier with acronis home 10 trial but when i hit proceed windows vista boots back up and the restore is done i have tried from windows and the bootable acronis cd
    with the trial version is it possible to recover from images created by the full sale version or only from images created by the trial version
    The image size created by the computer supplier is 3 9 GB

MY OS is Vista Home Premium

17. kiz

kiz Registered Member

soory my last post should read as the recovery is not done with hometrial 10aand vista

18. Acronis Support

Hello kiz,

Please note that image archives one has created with the trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home can be used with the full version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

The same applies to the archives created with the full version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. One can access the image archive created with the full version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home using the trial version of the program to restore data.

As for the issue you have experienced, please describe the actions taken to restore the image archive step-by-step. Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

19. kiz

kiz Registered Member

Thanks
    no error messages, nothing in the logs
    it reads the archive and then when I ckick Proceed on the last step it starts to do the recovery i think it first starts to delete the partition but then vista starts booting again, is there some vista/BIOS settings that I neeed to change

The version that my computer supplier used to create the image may not be Home 10
    Thanks Ramesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.