Arconis for Linux

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by silvaman, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silvaman

silvaman Registered Member

Mar 17, 2005

I am new user of Arconis and have a few questions regarding the bare metal restore. I am using an evaluation Linux version of this product. The build number says 879. It also says for Redhat 8 - we ha

The image I needed to restore was on a NAS which is on a different subnet to the server I am restoring to. The network is gigabit.

I burned the rescue cd as instructed and booted the server. Trueimage started normally although I could not see any of the computers around me or any nfs servers. I assumed that Trueimage would do some sort of broadcast/dhcp request to gain this info for the local this true? I made this assumption because of what I found after switching to the virtual terminal and looking via busybox.

Once at the shell prompt in busybox I saw that when Trueimage started scanning for networks it wrote a resolv.conf file to the /etc directory ....however the file was empty. In order to be able to reach my NAS server I had to

1.configure the network interfaces with an ip using ifconfig
    2. add a route
    3. populate the resolve.conf file
    4. create a /etc/hosts file because if i tried to ping i would get a 'resolver error'

by this point I thought it quicker to manually mount the share on the NAS from inside busybox - this eventually worked. I then went back to the Arconis GUI and was able to browse to the image which I had mounted under the /mnt directory. The restore proceeded after this point and the server was recovered.

I didnt see any documentation outlining the above steps ...I was in a bit of a rush! I know it worked in the end but I just wondered if it should have worked differently..I have seen a quite a few posts regarding the rescue cd not doing what it should - I have to document this for guys who are not used to linux command line. If I did miss documentation regarding this, my apologies and feel free to flame me accordingly ;)

Many Thanks
  2. AlexM.

AlexM. Registered Member

Mar 11, 2005
    I have to admit I've never used an Acronis rescue CD, but using the Windows CD to boot from lets you set up a network interface from within the gui (if DHCP doesn't take care of it for you).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.