Archive Splitting Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by petebib, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petebib

petebib Registered Member

I recently upgraded from TI9 to TI10 because of its automatic archives management (Backup locations) capability. I was glad to see that Acronis has now included the ability to have the file names generated automatically during the backup. However I’m really disappointed about the removal of the Archive splitting capability when performing a backup in a defined “Backup Locations” area. Was this an oversight by Aronis? It was really handy/fast to be able to use Nero to burn my image to DVD. Does anybody know if there is a workaround? I’ve temporally using a FAT32 partition and it appears that TI10 is still capable of generating the automatic file names on the split files and still works as advertised, but you lose the security features of NTFS. Is there a way to split a large (>4.7GB) backup image file after it is created so it can be burned to a DVD?

Thanks
    Petebib

PS: Acronis was this an oversight? If so, when will it be included in the next build?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I believe in a much earlier thread about splitting an existing archive this was mentioned:

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/download.html

It doesn't mention Vista as being supported but that may just be because the description wasn't updated.

I have never used it but it is free and may do the job. I would certainly run the TI Validate on the resulting files to see if they are intact. As always, a test restore is the only sure way of testing.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello petebib,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that it is intended behavior of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that manual splitting is unavailable when backing up to Acronis Backup Locations (they manage archives automatically).

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I can't see how splitting the .tib files with a third-party tool would be of much use. If your hard drive or OS fails and you have to boot from the rescue CD you will quickly discover that ATI cannot read the files, as they are not in the expected format. The files would need to be reassembled before you can use them.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You are very likely correct - the files would have to be assembled. OTH, if I had archive files on DVDs the first thing I would do if I had to use them for a restore is to put them on a HD of some type to avoid wearing out the DVD drawer while restoring. They could be reassembled at this stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.