Archive not splitting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Joe Zydeco, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Zydeco

Joe Zydeco Registered Member

Using TI 10 Home, Build 4940. I set the Tools>Options to split at 1GB, and that number shows in the backup window, but I end up with a single 4.5GB file. What am I doing wrong?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try 1.0 GB instead of just 1 GB - just a guess.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Or a 1492MB setting will permit 3 files per DVD.

If using the Rescue CD, this must be set for each backup. Tools/options only applicable to images created in Windows mode.

4. Joe Zydeco

Joe Zydeco Registered Member

Seek & Grover, thanks for your suggestions, but they didn't work for me. When I entered "1.0 GB", it translated to "1 GB" and when I entered "1492MB", it translated to "1.457 MB" (go figure). But still, TI would not split the file for me.

I found the answer to the problem, but I don't like what I found. In the User's Guide, a sentence in Section 5.3.6 states: A backup destined for a backup location or Acronis Secure Zone cannot be split.

I was using a backup location because it lets me control the total number and/or size of the backup files allowed in a folder.

So I tried again, providing a plain old path for a destination, and it split just as I specified. Seems I have to choose either the advantage of split files or the advantages of the "backup location" concept. It's just my personal preference, but I prefer to burn a DVD in ISO mode rather than UDF, so I want the ability to split files down below the 2GB limit.

~Off topic comments removed~

And thanks again to you folks for offering to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2007
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thanks for posting the reason. I use Ti9 which doesn't have "backup locations" and I had forgotten about the Secure Zone. Your problem is of no consequence when archives are stored in the Secure Zone because you can't access them to make a copy to DVD anyway.

FWIW, I always split at 1492 MB like GroverH mentioned since 3 fit nicely on a DVD and you get to use the ISO file system rather than UDF. I agree it isn't a big deal but just the way I like it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.