Archive File-Split Size Limitation

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by JeffC63, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffC63

JeffC63 Registered Member

I recently test-drove Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite, and liked most of what I saw. However, I noticed that the max size for splitting backup archive files was only 4000 MB (mine actually said 4098 MB). After surfing the forums, I came across this post (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278162&highlight=split size), where the poster apparently noticed the same thing, and was told that it was a program limitation. If that is the case, I'd like to know if the 4000 MB limitation will ever be raised in the near future. The ability to split backup archives, to fill a standard DVD (ie. a single-layer DVD+R can fit 4,482.625 MiB on it, with a dual-layer DVD+R fitting 8,152.000 MiB on it) should be a no-brainer, wouldn't you think?? I currently use a competitor's product to image drives (IT Consultant for 16 years), and there's no 4000 MB limit on file-split size. Thanx in advance .. Jeff C

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

You can exceed the splitting limitation by generating a script and editing the MFS value under Options section, when the default setting is 4,000MB the MFS value is set to 4,096,000Kb.

MFS: Specifies the maximum image file size (in Kb). When the limit is reached, the image will be split.

Just be very careful not to exceed your recording media size limitation.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The 4000 MB limit which actually give a file size of 4,194,304,000 bytes since Paragon is using the correct value of K=1024 is likely there for splitting archives to accommodate the maximum filesize of FAT32 partitions which is the way most USB drives and sticks come off the shelf.

There should be an easy way to specify a custom split size though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.