ArcaVir testing

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hollywoodpc, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

ArcaVir has detected a couple of trojans not found by NOD or KAV . Sent to separate company whom we all know and love for verification . Not false positives . Very nice . The spyware/adware detection is incredible ! Found 3 adware and two spyware on a machine just checked with AdAware AND M$ AS . M$ did find the 3 adware but , no spyware . AdAware found one adware and no spyware . Pretty sweet . I am not a tester . Only liked what I found . ArcaVir is good . I like it more each day . This one is definately worth a look .

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hey hollywood i have been wanting to try arcavir for a while but get so many mixed reviews on it. how is it resource wise?? how overall is it? does it come with all the bloatware like firewalls and spam etc.... i love nod and now own it but would like to have a great backup or visa versa. also how does it run with nod ? do you run it only as on demand? thanks

hey not off topic but outpost keeps booting me from the internet. my modem will show not connected. the second i shut down op i am connected again. then i will restart op and within 20 min or so my connection breaks and once again shut down op and all is fine i have tested this many many times so i know it has to be op related any suggestions thanks

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hey hollywoodpc,
    Is it possible to scan the file(s) on Jotti's and post a screeny?

4. hollywoodpc

The Outpost problem is frustrating me . I would understand if it will not connect at boot . But it breaks the connection after 20 minutes . Do you use a router ? If you do , that is the problem . I think . The router needs to be setup that involves loopback if I am not mistaken . Go to the Outpost forum and ask about that . They will get you fixed up . The ArcaVir deal . I use NOD as real time . I use ArcaVir as on demand . I love it . It does come with a firewall . I do not use it obviously . Also has a registry monitor that i use real time . Very nice addition . With 2 services running , I am showing 6 k on one and 3 k on the other . With real time monitor enabled , not sure . But , if you want to use it as back up , go for it . I love this thing . Wish I had more info on the trojans but , did a restore with FD and all is gone and forgotten . Did not matter anyway . Just thought people may want to know this . My girlfriend is testing it now . Was using F-secure but , was to heavy . Made her machine sluggish . ArcaVir is light and , as far as I can see , is excellent at what it does . You never know . You may want to use this as your first defense and NOD as backup . You never know . Hope that helps my friend . And PLEASE message me and let me know how your OP problem is going .

5. hollywoodpc

Namor .
    Stupid me . I just stated , before I saw your post , that they are gone . But they were real . I thought it to be very interesting . remember . We do not know alot , YET , about ArcaVir . In the coming months , who knows what people may find when they use it .

6. hollywoodpc

Z .
    The spyware /adware detection is awesome . I can atest to that easy enough .

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

No problem... I just wanted to see if any of the other scanners out there flagged the files.

8. hollywoodpc

I know . Did not even think about it . You can imagine my surprise . Just running a scan for the heck of it AFTER NOD and KAv , figuring all was cool . Man . All I wanted to do was find out if it was real or not . I knew the adware/spyware was . Was unsure as to the trojans . Bottom line is . I like ArcaVir . Liking it more each day . Not enough prople using yet to get a good feel on how it does . Sorry Namor . Thanks for asking though .

Take care my friend

9. zfactor

is this the same as mks av i think that is what it is called?? just wondering thanks. i have my router setup for loopback and still have the problem with or without my router . if i unhook it and directly use my cable modem still have the same thing. i cant figure it out either. i went on the op forum but coudlnt really find much. sent them a email but no response yet since frio_O hope they are better than this. talk to you soon

10. zfactor

well i just downloaded the trial version of arcavir and tried to get a serial number to install and it just goes to an error page on the stormbyte web site?? i guess ill have to wait wanted to play tonight. oh well.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

@zfactor- I was able to register as a demo. @ 0030. HTH

12. hollywoodpc

Hey Z . Your firewall may need to allow for stormbyte site . Check it to be sure under exclusions

13. hollywoodpc

I would be interested in your thoughts on this thing . I really like it . From me , that is high praise . It is still early but , it has really got my attention. Thanks .

14. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

As soon as I do I will sure post it up. I hope it is a little bit cleaner that the betas. If I remember correctly the aesthetics of the interface really turned me off. But that is looks over function :)

15. hollywoodpc

They tell me the looks are going to be overhauled very soon . Ain ' t the prettiest but , damn good so far as to what it is supposed to do . And thanks for your help with this .

16. zfactor

ok hollywood fixed the issue with op. turns out i had to upgrade my firmware in my modem due to 2 issues.
    1) comcast problem
    2) compatability with op!!!
    went from 2.00.03 to 2.00.1 on a dlink dcm-202 modem
    now everything seems perfect running so smooth now i see no issues at all!!
    so it really wasn't op's fault well not entirely dlink knew of both problems when i talked to them tonight. just though you wanted to know. still cant get i serial from arcavir though!!

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well I've been actively testing ArcaVir out since I was gifted a license by Stormbyte Inc. in March.

I must say that ArcaVir is quite good for trojans, but it is particularly good for Adware. It has already found and removed 5 Adware samples from my computer, and the heuristic engine has not given me even one FP even when I keep it at max. settings.

The product does, however, come with Firewall and Registry monitor, but these are not enabled by default.

The resource usage is VERY low on my computer, except
    1)Memory/MBR scanning
    2)While scanning large *.dat files, dunno why.

Regards,
    Firecat :)

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hey Z,

ArcaVir is the english version for mks.

19. hollywoodpc

I thought there was a problem with the router . That is why I asked you if you used one . Congrats ! And STILL no license ? What the ........?Hmmmmm. Write StormByte and tell him the deal . he will send you one . Fairly quickly I think . Hope so anyway .

20. zfactor

i sent stormbyte a pm about the serial so hopefully he will respond soon!! yeah the modem issue was a pain until i figured it out you were close hollywood.

21. hollywoodpc

Just glad Outpost is rolling along now .

22. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Could someone confirm whther arcavir uses the windows task sheduler to update rather than its own internal updater?.I tried arcavir once and im sure it used that.It was annoying because the task sheduler then started in the system tray,using more resources.
    ellison

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No the task scheduler does not open up when ArcaVir updates - at least not in the system tray. Not on my PC.

24. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

ArcaVir does not use the Windows Task Scheduler to update. MKS 2004 did though but has since been changed.

25. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Mmm that is strange.It definitly was arcavir that i tried , and it used the task scheduler ,for scheduled updates.Im using 98se though i dont know if that makes a difference.Perhaps i should try it again.It was a few months ago that i trialed it.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.