ArcaVir 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by snowboard, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Considering VB's methods of testing and the fact that Sophos share the same servers, and reside on the same machines, i'd say VB is probably one of the least reliable methods of picking an AV.

I hate when people quote VB.

2. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

I just went to their website to see a bit about that program, and i can see it's "Softpedia-awarded" !!!! :D :eek: That really made my day laughable, they GOT to be kidding! :ninja:

Attached Files:

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Whats so funny about that? SoftPedia has a very strict policy regarding programs that include malware/spyware. I also got this "award" for my Power Defragmenter and Xtra Windows Stability programs.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't see the problem of 2 companies are from the same build!!!

Do you have something to prove that Sophos it's benefited by VB?
    If not, to say things like this...

And you can see the test results of the Sophos to see fails on the last years...

5. toxical2004

toxical2004 Registered Member

I don't mean it's not a good thing that the product is awarded virus&spyware-free, but don't you think it's kind'a weird for an ANTIVIRUS (and also anti-spyware) application to put such facts on their web site's first page...i mean, who normal would even expect from a company that tries to earn respect as a relatively new player in the AV field to install viruses on the customer machines. For a freeware screensaver-it's ok to point out it's adware-free, but for a product like this one.....well, i suppose there are some av programs which actually put viruses into people's computers :rolleyes:,just that I haven't tried any :D . Well, i suppose they just lack some other stuff to be proud of for the time being, like some 'respectable/big/elder'....etc' av companies,so they decided this 'award' could be suitable as well :D

6. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I was seriously considering trying this product. I sent 2 emails to them using their contact page. One on 6/1 and one on 6/21. Neither has been answered though they did acknowledge receiving them.
    To me this a very poor indication of what their tech support is like. As I told them I will look elsewhere.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Which site are you sending emails to? The Arcabit or Stormbyte site?

8. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I used the contact us at the Stormbyte site.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Following up on Namor, although support through the reseller should work, I would recommend contact via the vendor directly at Arcavir as well.

Blue

10. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

That is unusual, because they have always been very responsive with support. As Blue stated try the Arcavir site, that is what I used to send questions and samples to.

11. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Just an update.After reading Namor's report early this morning I sent an e-mail to Arcabit. When I stopped home for lunch there was a reply from Arcabit. Well, sort of. Most of it was in Polish but it's the thought that counts. But there were also replies from Stormbyte with answers to my questions from Mariusz K. Sasinski who I think was extremely helpful. He even gave a reply to one further question immediately.
    I thanked him on the site and I will thank him publicly for his help. He convinced me this was a one time problem and would not occur again and I believed him. Since I am working this weekend I will be downloading the program on Mon. and giving it a shot. From what I have read here and elsewhere sounds quite good and even more promising in the next version.
    Thanks to all here for their help. Dan

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Mariusz Sasinski? Wow! Been a long while since I spoke to him.....

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Yes I read your previous posts. Made contact with him on the Stormbyte site. Was impressed with him.
    Matter of fact I read alot of your previous posts, Firecat. Enjoy your opinions and comments. I will see you around.

14. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Thank you all for your input but i trialed it and didnt like it :doubt:

Regards,

snowboard

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Well, I finally installed the program. Easy enough. Let it do a self install. So after a while it was all done.
    Now the fun part.As soon as I tried to use the internet the computer restarted. Then again. E-mailed tech support. Listed what I had,program wise. They thought it was BoClean. It wasn't.
    Then they said to shut off the monitor and the firewall. I asked them that if I do that what is the sense of having their software. No reply yet.
    Needless to say I uninstalled the program for now.
    That's my story with ArcaVir for now. Maybe there will be a part 2. I doubt it but time will tell.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I believe with some more developement it might be a good av suite, but when I tried it it definatly needed more work. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.