ArcaVir 2005 - REVIEW

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sputnik, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Thank you Honyak. Just to let you know, I sent an e-mail to ArcaVir support just before I posted that question here. I figured I wouldn't get answer until at least next week some time. Well was I surprised to see a response from them in my inbox this evening. That was the answer they gave me also. I'm very impressed with their response time.[​IMG]

2. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

That is another good feature of ArcaVir, tech support is very responsive. Mariusz is in this forum regularly also, and if you think you have a virus or FP, submit it and they will keep you updated on the status.
    This and the fact that it is a very good AV, influenced my decision to use ArcaVir.

3. Mannaggia

Hi Mariusz. This may have been discussed before somewhere, but why the name change from mks_vir to ArcaVir?

BTW, I'm the guy who sent you the e-mail asking about the exclamation point in the taskbar. I really like ArcaVir. I think one of it's good features is that you can hover your cursor over the icon in the taskbar and see the date of the latest update. More antivirus software should do this.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

MKS_Vir is a name for Polish market. ArcaVir is for everywhere else (english version). But the company is the same.

5. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I'm downloading the english version of MKS_2005 right now. One of my complaints about Arcavir is the interface and colors. Red is used too much, i'm used to companies using Red to highlight trouble issues and things, not as a general interface color.

Hopefully MKS_2005 looks good, and i'll run that on my second machine, and Dr. Web on my main machine to test.

6. hi5423

hi5423 Guest

Just tried it and its very promissing!

Also I would suggest them to implement ability to control outgoing connections.

For example I wanted to play my game and were unable to connect to the game server so I had to disable firewall...

I figured out how to enable ports and PDF manual is amazing but somebody else could have a problem to do that.

All in all i am surprised!

7. hi5423

hi5423 Guest

Its me again,

That web site arcavir.com need to be more professional! It looks like something made by some cheap web design software or ... dunno how to explane... Linux style heheh

Some new modern style could help some users to decide to purchase a software quick :)

8. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hi,

If you're in the US, go to www.stormbyte.com for ArcaVir. The website looks professional enough, at least for me. :D

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

For now I do not use the firewall in ArcaVir, I still use Kerio 2.1.5. The ArcaVir firewall looks promising, but needs to improve before I use it.

As far as the interface and website, I do not really care how they look, I am more concerned with the performance and functionality of the product.
    But it does seem to matter to some people.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Aesthetics matter a lot to non-experienced users, y'know.

The ArcaVir firewall scored a 100% at Trend Micro's http://www.hackercheck.com

And it will be much improved in 2006 version as I've mentioned many times before.

Just my bit :)

Regards,
    Firecat

11. mikesu

mikesu Registered Member

It isn't the same company - but there are the same people ;)

12. Mannaggia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RejZoR
    MKS_Vir is a name for Polish market. ArcaVir is for everywhere else (english version). But the company is the same.

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I like the MKS_Vir name better. [​IMG] [​IMG] Joking aside, I think I finally have found the antivirus I've been looking for. [​IMG] I haven't tried the firewall yet, but everything else is very nice.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You know what i meant :p Company is the same,but name is different :p

14. Mannaggia

I've running ArcaVir's trial verson a few days now. What I have noticed so far.........

I'm on cable HSI and I have noticed a slight slowdown in connection speeds. Also noticed that opening my e-mail program takes a little longer. I get e-mails on a daily basis with links attached. I found that it takes longer to get to those links after clicking on them.

15. larouse

larouse Registered Member

I have Wireless Connection and I noticed slow Email Downloaded, take time to Download in comparation with other's

16. Mannaggia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mannaggia
    I've running ArcaVir's trial verson a few days now. What I have noticed so far.........

I get e-mails on a daily basis with links attached. I found that it takes longer to get to those links after clicking on them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I was beginning to think it was just me.[​IMG]

17. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Is very noticed in the Emails take at lot time....I lost my money because I bought two licences and Uninstalled this AV.... :mad: ....Will contact with ARCAVIR to know if I would donate or transfer the licences, don't like it.

18. Mannaggia

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought I was going to be very happy with ArcaVir, but I've noticed it slows things down a little too much for me. [​IMG] I think I'm going to uninstall it.

Maybe you didn't lose your money. Maybe it's possible to get a refund. I'm only using the trial version.

Good luck.

19. Firecat

Hmm...I never had any problems with email on my PC...Hang on guys, I'll let Mariusz know about this thread.

Regards,
    Firecat

20. Mannaggia

That would be great if you can get some information this Firecat. Thanks.

21. Firecat

OK I did a bit of snooping around...and it seems ArcaVir does some POP3 filtering. By default it tries to remove all scripts from HTML messages...It could be causing the slight delays on email.

This can be disabled in the Mail Scanner, just look for it Under 'Advanced' in POP3 (there will be a tag called 'filtering')

Try it and let me know guys.

Regards,
    Firecat

22. Firecat

OK Everyone,

Could be major!

After today's update (24 March), I am seeing that there is a Process Manager integrated into ArcaVir....This means AntiSpam will be there soon!

Maybe someone can give more details on this Process Manager.

ArcaVir is improving fast.

Regards,
    Firecat

23. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Well, Process Manager is a simple module that can be used to kill processes that are causing problems, or set priority of the process (from idle to high)

Mariusz

24. Firecat

Hey Mariusz,

Have you noticed the problems people are reporting with email...read this thread completely....I never experienced anything myself though.

Regards,
    Firecat

25. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Well my question is - how much slower is it working?

Mariusz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.