Aptosid vs Arch Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cubanresourceful, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubanresourceful

cubanresourceful Registered Member

I see some pretty heavy Linux/UNIX-like posters here (ie mack_guy911, Mrkvonic, Ocky, etc). I have used Arch for quite awhile, and while I have set up package signing, I feel as it's just not enough and I'd rather my system not get compromised.

I have read how Aptosid is similar, with Rolling Release model based on Debian's sid repository. Has anyone used Arch Linux and Aptosid and has a comparison?

I will be downloading Aptosid today and installing in a VM when I get home from work, but I am looking for some opinions from you guys. Thanks. :)

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

If you want a sane RR, then look no further beyond the excellent Chakra LINUX.

3. cubanresourceful

I tried Chakra in the past, but their installer Tribe was a bit wonky, as well as the "only KDE" mindset. I like the fact that I can install KDE and GTK applications, but with Chakra, if I remember correctly, they package GTK applications?

Also, does this mean inherently you find Aptosid to be not a sane RR?

4. linuxforall

aptonsid is quite sane but not polished, Chakra's tribe has no big bugs even though its still in alpha stage. As for their bundling of GTK apps, its an excellent approach keeping a KDE system clean and pure once the GTK app is removed. Archimedes Chakra is now an excellent polished rolling release offering. Also since its based on Arch, its among the snappiest of KDE distros out there.

5. cubanresourceful

Here's the big question! Since Chakra is based on Arch, does it no inherit Arch's security issues?

Thank you for your posts by the way! :)

6. linuxforall

This is where Chakra shines as it doesn't use AUR but rather its own using signed packages. Take a look at Chakra forum for indepth coverage on this issue.

7. cubanresourceful

Will do, thanks. :) FYI, Arch just started signing the "official" repositories but the database is yet to be signed. Still a large security flaw. :D

Thanks again for the help. :)

8. linuxforall

I agree but Chakra doesn't use Arch repos but its own.

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

old dosent mean vulnerability and new dosent mean stable and bugfree

arch is not very stable as it cont......updating to new packages so many times they break i am not into arch much that what i feel about this distro

The aptosid distribution is a desktop-oriented operating system and live CD based on the unstable branch of Debian GNU/Linux.

same here on this aptosid

i sugest you to go for enterprise class distro if you looking for long term like centos/SL or ubuntu LTS

if you still arch fan like linuxforall suggest great option chakra go for it they keep updating/backporting but with lot of testing before they do which make them better and stable than arch. ....

http://chakra-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Using_tomoyo-tools_for_system_security

http://chakra-linux.org/wiki/index.php/Using_tomoyo-tools_for_system_security

hmmm i am not chakra/arch or debian fan/user i mostly use ubuntu LTS and redhat or suse base distro as default i tested chakra once and its ok so cant say much expect you run and try :))

10. cubanresourceful

I wouldn't mind using Ubuntu, except it does not want to boot with propriety NVIDIA drivers. I have tried troubleshooting it myself, as well as Googling answers, but to no avail. I may make a post, but I am unsure whether it can be fixed or not. :)

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out both Chakra and Aptosid when I get home today. :)

11. mack_guy911

12. linuxforall

Have you tried adding xswat ppa and installing latest nvidia drivers btw? Compared to ATI, nvidia cards, even the latest cutting edge have been the best experience for me on Ubuntu.

Btw, if you are looking for another stable rolling release option, don't forget officially sanctioned Open SUSE with Tumbleweed, its tested and stable rolling release option, one thats oft overlooked and gives Arch, Aptonsid run for money.

13. cubanresourceful

I almost went Tumbleweed, but every time I tried openSUSE, it just left me with a bad taste in my mouth, especially the 12.1 release. I also tried Ubuntu again, this time the 12.04 LTS and got it working with proprietary drivers, but I just didn't like it, so I had to make a decision. What do I want? RR, Stable-cycle, or super stable, ie Aptosid (or Chakra), Fedora-KDE, or Debian-KDE. I ended up going with Fedora (even though I remember RPM hell years ago) and man have I got to say I don't think I'll regret it. KDE works flawlessly, just as good as on Arch.

So, I am happy, for now. We'll see what Beefy Miracle brings and if it's still stable. Thanks for all the help guys, it's appreciated. :)

PS: linuxforall, I did try using xswat ppa, that did not work. :)

14. linuxforall

What nvidia card are you using btw? Strange, nvidia driver install is hell on any RH derived OS including Fedora, all of them have noveau by default and SE Linux interferes with driver install.

15. cubanresourceful

GTX 460. Not too old, not too new. Ubuntu is the only OS I have a problem with. And it's not like I don't like Unity, I find it alright for all intents and purposes.

16. linuxforall

I have the GTX 550TI and Unity runs well on that, the only glitch I had was with my integrated AMD 6350 on my ASUS netbook where Unity would sometimes be slow but thats gone now with latest Catalyst 12.1 installed.

17. mack_guy911

if you like fedora kde you can try this one as well

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kororaa

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kororaa.html

its outofbox fedora lovely distro also hows your experiance with chakra

3rd if you dont mind old one on gnome 2 centos/SL are good choices but you have to keep eye on repo and you dont get latest packages but as stability unless you mess with repository it work awesome

you can check these

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=311346&highlight=centos/SL

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=319268

last you can try kubuntu as well if latest ubuntu work with your drivers kubuntu is awesome distro or you can wait LTS to release 5 years support not bad deal after all

hope one of them work for you :))

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.