AppRanger add in the cloud:)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no cause i use IE only and it is added by default
    did you write down the chrome.exe on top and hit ok?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is where is says sandbox name:) write down chrome.exe and then at the bottom hit ok bottom and it will be place with other sandboxes:)

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Appranger cannot seem to find the path. And when I go to the chrome.exe via its path it does not show up.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very strange:D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok do this do not try to find it's path just add it as i told you before and hit ok

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is where is says sandbox name write down chrome.exe and then at the bottom hit ok bottom and it will be place with other sandboxes

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or go to sandbox,then protected applications then hit add at the bottom then it says folders on the rigyh side then hit c and ok on the rigth side then program files and hit ok and you can find there in program files chrome after you find chrome and hit ok it will be place on the left side click on it and hit ok again and it be place in the sandbox place

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Process rules tab

Default option
    If an explicit rule is not found for a process creation by the sandboxed application, this rule will be used.

Add
    Add a rule to explicitly allow or deny creation of a process by applications in this sandbox.

Add/Edit Process rule

Application
    Full path of the application created by the sandboxed application.

Access type
    Allow or deny creation of the listed application.

File rules tab

Default option
    If an explicit rule is not found for a process created by the sandboxed application, this rule will be used.

Add
    Add a rule to explicitly allow or deny creation of a file or directory or file type by applications in this sandbox.

Add/Edit Process rule

Directory
    Name of the directory to which the access is being allowed/denied for the sandboxed applications.

Access type
    Allow or deny.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Protected Applications

Over 80% of all attacks are via applications like the Web browser, e-mail, and IM clients. AppRanger protects applications (client and server) by placing a sandbox around them. The sandbox blocks attacks that may come in via that application and also prevents that application from damaging the computer.

AppRanger simplifies how applications are protected by automatically detecting applications that are vulnerable to attacks, e.g. Web browsers, e-mail clients, IM clients, Web servers, etc. and securing them with appropriate sandboxes.

The default security setting imposed by AppRanger on those sandboxes will not interfere with how application functions, but will block malware/spyware attacks. The user can always increase the security settings as necessary.

Settings

All sandboxes configured on the computer are shown. If the checkmark in “Enabled” column for a sandbox is removed, that particular sandbox rules will not be enforced.

To make changes to the basic settings for an existing sandbox, select the sandbox and click on the “Edit” button.

Click on “Remove” button to remove a sandbox and to add a new sandbox, click on the “Add” button.

Add/Edit
    Add a new sandbox or modify the settings for an existing sandbox.

Remove
    Remove the sandbox. Sandboxes created by AppRanger cannot be removed by user and can only be disabled by unchecking the enabled flag.

Add/Edit Sandbox

Changes to some of the basic settings can be made here.

Sandbox name
    Name of the sandbox. Use a name that you can easily associate with the application being protected by the sandbox.

Options

Enable sandbox
    The sandbox is enabled.

Security level
    AppRanger has three default security levels (low, medium, and high) for sandboxes that user can start with and customize as necessary.

Server sandbox
    If the sandbox is protecting a server application, we recommend that you check this option.

Applications

Add
    Add an executable to the sandbox. All the executable files listed here will be protected by the sandbox.

Remove
    Select and executable and then click on the “Remove” button to remove it from that sandbox.

Recommendation

We strongly recommend that Web browsers and IM clients are always sandboxed. If you are using a VoIP client, e.g. Skype, it is strongly recommended that it is protected with AppRanger sandbox. Sandboxing e-mail clients and office applications are recommended.

If the sandboxed application auto updates (FireFox and Acrobat are good examples), the "high" security level may interfere with application auto-update itself. Use "Medium" security setting for such applications..

Copyright © AppRanger, Inc.

10. acr1965

Thanks for all the help but none of that seems to do anything for what I need.

11. catcherintherye

catcherintherye Registered Member

Try typing (or copy paste) full path of chrome.exe in the add popup box that comes up. That should work. You should enter the full path where it asks for filename.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I haven't got AppRanger installed or the standard installation of Chrome as I'm using a portable edition, but is the Chrome.exe in the Users\AppData\local folder?

Opera should work straight from the program files folder.

jmonge, do you know if the AppRanger representative was returning to explain the sandbox aspect of AppRanger? Was interested in this part of the program. :)

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will try to reach him as we speak i am goin to send him an email;)

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just send an email to jay he may drop by very soon to help those that need help with appranger;)

15. acr1965

That's where it's listed on my computer but it does not show up in AppRanger. As for Opera, an Opera folder the .exe shows up in the Programs folder on my computer but the .exe will not show up in AppRanger.

16. acr1965

Hopefully so. I like this program because it runs a sandbox without me having to click a bunch of buttons- which I like. If chrome and Opera cannot be added it to the sandboxed apps would be a deal killer for me.

As for earlier posts about appranger not showing which programs are protected- I agree. This should be an added feature for end users in the future. I understand these sort of notifications may not be appropriate or desired in business environments but for end users it should at least be an option. Just a little icon on each protected program would be nice.

17. appranger

appranger Registered Member

acr1965,

Chrome is not currently supported due to how Chrome works.

In general, AppRanger can sandbox 'any' application.

In the AppRanger GUI->Sandbox->Protected Applications

- click on 'Add' to add a new sandbox,
    - a window will pop up. Click on 'Add' button there to add binaries to be , included in that sandbox.
    - adjust the security level as needed.

If you want even more customization (I suggest against it!), go to
    AppRanger GUI->Sandbox-> Advanced Settings

- select the sandbox from the drop down menu,
    - add rules as you wish in various tabs.

You are indeed correct about the notifications. Most of our customers are businesses and we want to keep pop-ups at a minimum (zero if possible).

To see which applications are protected. Go to

AppRanger GUI-> Miscellaneous->Behavior monitor settings

One of the columns will show if Sandbox is active for that application.

18. acr1965

OK. I had to unhide appdata even though it was visible to me appranger could not see appdata until it was unhidden. Got Opera on board as well. They are both showing as protected.

19. acr1965

I uploaded a couple pics to show what I am talking about. So this looks a like a bug as I thought both Opera and Chrome were sandboxed. Anyhow, I see that both Opera and Chrome can be monitored. What sort of monitoring takes place?

Also, FWIW for the help file to work in Vista an MS download has to be installed. I have not tried that yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  20. acr1965

And after a few minutes I get this- which shows Opera and Chrome are being monitored and sandboxed. Is there any way to test to see if either or both chrome and opera are actually being sandboxed or not?

Attached Files:

21. acr1965

A couple other things- when I installed appranger I got a message that said this was a 15 day trial. Now my license shows this was originally a 30 day trial. But on the "activate" area of the gui it says license will expire in 30 days. Under "reports and logs" it says 29 days remaining.

22. acr1965

More pics that show Chrome is sandboxed-
    Also- under "Domains", "Attacks" and "Attacks (to date)" is there any way to get details about the domains and attacks? I could not find any way to find out the details.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  23. acr1965

And after Chrome was "sandboxed" the help file worked. A pop up appeared in my default browser (also chrome)-

Attached Files:

24. appranger

appranger Registered Member

Yes, we have made it is 30-day trial. Taking out the day you installed it, you will see 29 days remaining.

The delay in updating where it shows the application is sandboxed is because previous observed process for that process was not sandboxed. When you start a new process for the application you added sandbox for, it will get reflected correctly.

If an application is sandboxed, its behavior is monitored by AppRanger....by default.

Looks like you are having fun acr. You will have even more fun when you try to remove maware using AppRanger. Don't forget to view the system change log.

25. acr1965

So I am assuming Chrome is actually sandboxed? Is there any way to see more detail about the logs which I mentioned above?

Also, it appears whatever I download off the internet is not downloaded into a sandbox...is this correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.