Apply heuristics before or after

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Page42, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have read the Prevx help file, paying particular attention to the Heuristics Settings section, but a question still remains.

I can't figure out whether it is best to apply heuristics before or after Age/Popularity detection? :doubt:

I'd be interested in learning what other users are doing with this setting... and why.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Apply before/after essentially means: apply heuristics irrespective of the age of the file, or take the age of the file into account. So, applying heuristics before Age/Popularity detection (the default) will detect a file by heuristics regardless of how old it is, which could cause marginally more FPs and Apply After will cause marginally lower detection as it will only apply heuristics to files which are new to the community.

Hope that helps :)

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Have to agree.

I initially found " apply heuristics before or after Age/Popularity detection " a bit confusing. It's the Age/Popularity description that i feel could be reworded to make things a lot clearer.

How about, Apply heuristics - with historic data base - or - with community data base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.