Apply advanced rules

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cadmus, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadmus

cadmus Registered Member

I have just installed looknstop. Am almost totally ignorant of firewall operation. LNS faq says defaults good for beginners, but browsing this forum I see talk of advanced rule set. Is this something I can just download and install, or do I need to know what I'm doing and configure myself?

Being the learn by doing type I did go to advanced options tab (misc.) an enabled everything. :doubt:

Also, in network interfaces should I check WAN Miniport(ip)-Look n Stp (which is??)?

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi cadmus,

if you are a beginer, as we were all at start including myself, begin with the basic and simple features.
    The default Look'n'Stop ruleset already provides a good security against
    the malicious traffic coming from the Internet.

If you use the default rulseset (internet filtering tab, Load, Standardruleset)
    you will be safe from all of the current network enabled virus (worms) and many more, while still being able to use new application and softwares, and often to not have the need to configure anything more.
    With the enhanced ruleset however, whilst providing a very accurate and better protection (for very demanding users), you will very often need to add rules to allow your apps, which will be blocked, which require more work and knowledge from you.

You can enable every advanced options in the options tab, just notice that
    enabling the Statefull Packet Inspection (SPI) is not compatible with file sharing softwares (such as eMule, eDonkey, or Kazaa).

About the network interface you have to select, please check this page :
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/faq.htm#interface_reseau

Frederic always refers to this page, it's the FAQ from the Look'n'Stop website.

Hope this help :)

regards,

gkweb.

3. cadmus

cadmus Registered Member

GKWEB-

Excuse delay in reply and thanks for your attention. All is well and I learn more every day. Look forward to reading the info from you and others in this forum.

Thanks again,
    cadmus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.