Applications cannot access the internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by n8chavez, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

No, I'm not talking about Opera, Miranda, or any other application that I use on a regular basis. Rather, I'm refering to applications such as Ability Office, CCleaner, Runnerscanner, etc. These programs either directly connext to the internet or spawn a page. For example, both runscanner and ccleaner spawn a webpage to check for product updates. These programs don't seem to be able to do that anymore. I'm not sure why this is. Any ideas?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Have you checked that Look'n'Stop is not blocking internet access to them?
    Sometimes LnS forgets and you have to approve of them again, although rare with Lns, it does happen.

3. n8chavez

Yep, there are no rules for these applications. Also, it's not locked so I should be prompted if that were the case.
    I suspect it has something to do with a 'hardener'.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

How about your Sandboxie config? If you have your browser set as a forced program and you also have some other settings that only allow certain things web access and restricted executables could Sbie be blocking them?

5. n8chavez

I thought that might be it to but it does not appear to be the case. I am nearly certain that it was some option I selected in a system hardener. The only problem is I don't know which one. Anyone know of any that might have an option like that?

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Too much tweaking can be a trouble.
    How about you undo all the hardening and then check. And then apply tweaks one at a time, check, apply, check etc... if at all.
    Mrk

7. n8chavez

That's just it, I have no idea what hardener could have done this. I know for sure that it's not one I currently have because I've searched the options of all the ones I have.

8. RunScanner

RunScanner Registered Member

I noticed that sometimes personal firewalls (zonealarm, ...) are the cause of this.

9. n8chavez

Nope, that's not it. Thanks though.

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Host files?

11. Kribe

Kribe Registered Member

Hi

I cannot offer you a specific response but I whole hearted agree with Mrkvonic.
    It's very likely a software configuration file becoming corrupted. When I used LooknStop a little while ago, after a random period of 5 months it started doing this, as in, no software was able to update and it would block my IM accounts even though they were not set to be blocked. There were no rules as such to be found anywhere and I'm familiar with how Windows works. After much testing, questioning and help from forums to no resolve, I decided to uninstall it, wipe all its traces and reinstall later. After that all worked perfect as it should again.

Your problem may be related. It's highly likley one of the "network access management" applications.

Alina

EDIT

Just to add, you have tried the basics, right? (i.e. checked which is your default OS browser they need to call up)

12. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

is the LSP/SPI damaged?

13. n8chavez

Nope.

14. n8chavez

Okay, this problem is really starting to piss me off. WinPatrol cannot even view WinPatrol Plus info. The problem seems to be related to the registry because I was able to get everything to work when I booted into 'safe mode with networking'. Any ideas on how to fix this given the new info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.