Applications and internet filtering

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ToMMY2ooo, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMMY2ooo

ToMMY2ooo Registered Member

I think the way rules are activated when an app connects to the net need altering. A rule that activates based on an application connection allows other programs to use that rule.

Surely when you set an application in a rule then the rule should not be able to be used by another program to access the net.

Any comments?

Cheers,
    Tom

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Tom

Yea like Services capabilities this too been addressed quite some time ago, it’s not actually the method used being the problem its how its not coded that’s being the problem…

I believe it should be coded to prevent leaks to/from other Applications which isn’t specified in the list. :mad:

3. ToMMY2ooo

I can see that what Im asking for might be tough to implement, but still it would be a very worthwhile investment.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Tom,
    Initially this was implemented in 2.04 to automate the cases where the user had to manually activated/deactivate a rule when an application was started/stopped (typical case are NetMeeting and Irc Client). The purpose was not to restrict the use of a rule to a dedicated application.

For a TCP server port (Identd for an Irc Client for instance) you can only have one application opening/listening that port at a time. So for these cases, the activation of a rule based on the connection of an application should be still useful.

Now with the 2.05b1 if you want to restrict an application to use some ports only, you can do that directly in the Application Filtering.

Frederic

5. ToMMY2ooo

Hi Frederic,

This solution does work but I think it would be a nicer solution to use the filter rule to specify what access the application has to the internet instead of the way that 2.05b1 is implemented.

Are there any plans to take LnS in this direction?

Cheers,
    Tom

6. Phant0m

The way I like to see this go are Application Filtering rules being handled within Look ‘n’ Stop Internet Filtering screen with basically same functionalities such as rule Export/Import; I think this would really benefit Look ‘n’ Stop a great deal, and draw many more users to Look ‘n’ Stop product. And with such style would be more efficient for myself to make Importable Application Filtering rules for the public and for the customers to easily import the Application Filtering rules…

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

I don't understand the difference. In the 2.05b1, you can consider the IP/Port dialog box as a rule for the application, and so you can specify what access the application has to internet.

Could you give some details of what you are thinking ?

Thanks,

Frederic

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes perhaps we will add something like that in the future.
    We need to stabilize the way it is implemented first.

For ports, Ok, I understand that some rules could be exported/imported, what about the IP address that are specific, and how to match the application between an imported rule and Look 'n' Stop internals, pathnames will be different between users.

Frederic

9. Phant0m

Hey Frederic

What about a comparison by filename only, excluding the file-path when dealing with Application Filtering rules?

10. Phant0m

Retrieving Application Filtering Layer informatics of Trusted Applications, Application Filtering rules does comparison by filename look-ups only, and if file-name founds turns up 0 or with Non-Trusted Application then the rule cannot be activated.

11. Phant0m

For Exporting I believe everything specified like ports and IP Informatics and so forth should also be exported along with.

Other goals we should set are;

- No limits on how many Application filtering rules can be set for a specific Application
    - Tying IP to port
    - Controls for both source IP/ports & destination IP/ports.
    - Controls for Local Activities

12. ToMMY2ooo

My idea is the same as Phantom's.

I have moved from Kerio Personal Firewall, which had an excellent method of applying rules to applications. All rules were held in a single place. The only downfall with Kerio was the lack of functionallity, this is where LnS really sits ahead.

If you could tie all the rule setting together in a similar way to Kerio (and perhaps many other Personal Firewalls) LnS would truely be the best personal firewall going. You might want to look at making it a system service also, to make it a little more secure.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Phant0m

14. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Having used Kerio firewall v2 for a couple of years now myself, I understand what your saying Tom & completely agree with what you and Phantom have said above. Now if only Frederic can put it all together (fingers crossed). :)

15. ToMMY2ooo

Crossing my fingers as I type :)

Cheers,
    Tom

16. Phant0m

Thanks dukebluedevil

Much appreciated, as you may have noticed Frederic needs us to “stabilize the way it is implemented first”, meaning your Feedback and others Feedback is very crucial.

And for rest of you on here with Look ‘n’ Stop, if you have any interests in Application Filtering Layer enhancements you should come forth and post even if it’s to say I agree. ;)

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I think there are two discussions there.

One is about ports and IP selection improvements in the Application Filtering.
    Another one is about the two levels of filtering, and a way to have only one set of rules.

For the 1st one, Phant0m just answer with the previous post.

For the 2nd one, Look 'n' Stop has really two different levels of protection that are independant: TDI and NDIS.
    The NDIS has no notion application, it has to be considered as a Packet Filter like an hardware firewall.

So having the two levels of protections and the flexibility of configuring each separatly is, for us, a plus.
    However, if some configuration can become easier we will look at it.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.