Application rules

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Jandi, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jandi

Jandi Guest

Hello,

I don't quite get it how to block traffic for a specific application. I see I can configure applications for rules, and also, when double-clicking an application, I can configure it, but I don't quite understand how these two configurations interact/take precedence. Do the protocol rules override application specific rules? If for a protocol rule I don't select an application, does the rule apply to all applications? And when I add one, it only works for that particular one? So, let's say, I want only my browser to be able to access TCP port 80, how could I configure this?

Sorry, I guess this is quite easy, but I haven't been able to figure out how to configure it.

Thanks!

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi Jandi,

the internet filtering is applied first, before the application filtering.
    So if your application is allowed to connect to port 80 but that the rule is not created, it will be blocked.

Then a rule is associated with a particular program, it is loaded only if this program is running, and applied to all of the running programs.

If you really want that only this application associated with the rule be allowed to use the traffic allowed by the rule, then simply restrict ALL of your applications in the application filtering to at least the ports you want (and IPs too).
    So to take the example of your browser, in the application filtering tab, restrict all of your programs to their port, and only write "80" for your web browser.

I hope it helps :)

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.