Application Layer Gateway keeps crashing!!!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by EvilDave UK, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

This must be the 5th time today this has happened and it's beginning to p*ss me off. I could be trying to upload files via Dreamweaver 8 to one of my web servers, only to be told "The Application Layer Gateway Service has encountered a problem and needs to close". This ultimately requires a reboot and, after already speaking to ESET Technical Support, it's still happening!

The faulting module is "imon.dll" and it's only recently started happening (in the past week or so). I've excluded Dreamweaver.exe from IMON already, but it's still doing it. I don't want to exclude alg.exe as it'll probably leave a hole in my security!

Application Log
    Faulting application alg.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module imon.dll, version 2.51.26.0, fault address 0x0000b62b.

System Log
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Any ideas?

2. covaro

covaro Registered Member

@EvilDave UK

Did you attempt to rebuild your Winsock and Repair IMON as explained in Blackspears Post? Usually fixes 99%+ of IMON errors.

-Cov

3. PigBrother

PigBrother Registered Member

Or you can disable Application Layer Gateway Service. I can't remember even one application that requires this Windows Service.

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

^ Agreed. But if you use Windows firewall, you'll have to keep it enabled.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
  6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Just something to keep in mind - Windows does it's best to identify the responsible component but it's not always correct... I've seen examples where one module errors and causes others to crash but the only ones identified are the ones that crashed first, and not the one responsible.

ALG - 'Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Windows Firewall.'

Aparently some ICS applications use it as well but I don't even recall if I've ever come across any firewalls that use it either - they ususally use their own services.

Of course just disabling ALG doesn't explain the cause of the issue but if you're not using it then disabling it should indeed stop the issue as suggested by others already.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.