Application Firewall Without HIPS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find any more of them. Sadly, the old fashioned simple application firewall is fading away, most of them are now combined with AVs into suites, and the remaining ones have been infused with varying degrees of HIPS features. So there really aren't too many left. If you find one that seems reasonably good, I'd use it and stick with it.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it above, but the old Sygate is still a viable alternative as well. There is a link here somewhere to the remaining last releases. If you're interested I can try to find it and post.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Fortknox is more or less a sygate clone but has the advantage of working on vista whereas sygate only works up to xp.
    ellison

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Re: Aplication Firewall Without HIPS

Like you can see in your VirusTotal'results report, Rising is one of the companies that participate in VirusTotal with their antivirus engines. So 6/7 suspicious installer file'results are...

6-7 malware'detections (uff...)? I can say only: I like to be infected with the amazing 'virus' Rising Personal Firewall...

5. demonon

demonon Guest

Im sorry I didn't read all the posts well.

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

First for full disclosure, I'm a beta tester for OA currently at Version 3 beta build 208. The slow boot time is not a problem after the 1st reboot after a clean install. As you probably know the OA HIPS can be disabled leaving the shields for web, mail and the program guard any of which can be turned off in any combo the user wants. In theory you could turn all OA function off and still have it sitting in memory. Don't know why a user would do that so I'll probably test that to see what happens.:cool:

I can understand irritating effort to build rules and learn how to do that BUT IMHO once a FW user is done with that rules learning curve and the rules you need are in place for games etc then it's a one time shot you are done!

Kerio 2.1.5 has no HIPS, but rules will exist in Kerio and will get built as you run exe's and you have to think just a bit how to answer the pop ups then rule is there for as long as you use the product. All FW's have rules and they need to be tailored to YOUR setup.:'(

Another solution is to turn off your FW during games, just use the windows FW or rely on your router. If you leave the AV on you should be fine. :D

Another solution (my favourite) is to separate entertainment activity from serious PC work like email and banking etc. This I would do via a second PC with little or no security on it other than the router and the windows FW.:gack:

Hope this helps.

7. guest

guest Guest

Re: Aplication Firewall Without HIPS

Install Comodo internet security, but during the installation, do not install Defense+ and the antivirus, and you will get only the firewall

8. 3xist

3xist Guest

Comodo Firewall (Network one) is still a very good Firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.