Application Firewall Without HIPS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by firzen771, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it seems its quite hard to find a firewall that doesnt have HIPS built in these days, but i was wondering if anybody knows any apllication based firewalls (not rules) that does not include a HIPS component.

i just found rule based firewalls to get irritating while playing games for example and none of the servers show up cause i have to make rules for everything, i prefer something that will allow or deny an application itself. all the rules i needed to use was the only thing i didnt like about L'n'S, other then that it was one of my fav firewalls.

- tried OA, slow boot times :(
    - tried ZA, still slow boot times

so something other than those 2 firewalls.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Re: Aplication Firewall Without HIPS

I had similar problems with high pings in p2p or problems with p2p. Solutions:

- AShampoo Firewall Free (closes ports, doesn't stealth them) or Paid (stealths them). I use the free right now. Very easy to use, doesn't cause any slowdowns (Matousec's perf tests were also 100%). Can have conflicts with other security applications though, you ll have to try and see. I would also say that the free version is better than the paid (small bugs). Very light. You need to specify port for each application, or give "full access". You must also tick or untick if it will have server rights or not. Nothing very complicated.

- PC Tools firewall (free). Somewhat more complicated, but very light too. Again, specify port or full access.

- If you use WindowsXP, maybe the good old Sygate free or its reincarnation today , the Fortknox firewall (paid). Beware of the local proxy vulnerability though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. firzen771

yes ive tried pctools firewall and i REALLY liked it, but doesnt it have some sort of like a half-assed HIPS? not really full HIPS but somewhat like one? and i forget did pc tools firewall have slow dowsn on boot and shut down time?

4. Fuzzfas

Disable the "enhanced security" thing. After that, it is pretty much "HIPS-less". I think it will only bother you rarely if an executable is replaced. When i use it i disable the enhanced security or use version 3.x that doesn't have it at all and it's basically just firewall.

5. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

if you go in to the settings you can disable this .. so it is just pure application and network filtering with out it's version of HIPS protection.

Under "settings/Filtering" turn off "Enable enhanced security verification"

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is Kerio 4.xx firewall, it has a slight bit of HIPS type stuff, but it can be turned off, and the free version probably has all you need. It's pretty easy to use also. But all of the features can be turned off/on as needed.

7. firzen771

wasnt kerio discontinued? and im also wondering how stable the beta ver 5 of pc tools firewall is, is it stable enough to use instead of the the normal ver.4?

8. Fuzzfas

I guess it depends on what other security apps you have. My experience with beta 25:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225486

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

10. firzen771

o ya it wasnt discontinued, just diff owner. and btw any idea when pc tools firewall is comin out of beta? anytime soon or still a while?

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I'm glad with Rising Personal Firewall Free version.

Without HIPS, lower resources, effective, none conflits with another app.. I used PC Tools before and I'm happy to try Rising Firewall after reading a topic in this forum about Rising. It's now my firewall... There aren't any slowdowns with it.

12. firzen771

hmm can u post a link to the free version, i cant seem to find it.

13. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

I know beta 25 has a problem with non english windows set up. It hard coded the name "Program files" Which is really bad.

Do you have this setup or is there another problem they have, cause beta 25 is working for me

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Please see post #68 in the link posted before.

15. firzen771

well good thing im on english XP, and hmm reading that thread im not entirely sure, sounds like Rising is pretty sneaky with ther products, i downloaded it from your link and is it free or not, or do i have to not update it so i dont get the nags?

16. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5
    Alternative - Sunbelt fw, good as gold. You can shut off hips and all the stuff you don't want, but it's bigger than 2.1.5.
    Fast bootup, fast shutdown.

17. firzen771

rising is very light so far, but it almost feels like im not actually even using a firewall... and is it okay to update rising or will it start nagging me?

18. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free is a plain application firewall with no HIPS ( OSFirewall ).

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that is probably the simplest and easiest of them all......

20. firzen771

well when using ZA i experienced slow boot times, and thats the main reason i wont use ZA again.

EDIT

currently using PC Tools firewall Beta v5 and im very pleased with it so far, looks very promising after disabling enhanced security verification.

21. entropism

entropism Registered Member

The nag screens that popped up a month or so ago were "allegedly" an error, and the company claimed that the FW will be free for life, and was never supposed to have a nag screen. If you remember, the nag screen was fixed and removed what, 2-3 days after it appeared.

22. Fuzzfas

I do have "Program Files", but for some reason i had problems. Probably something else was conflicting...

True, Rising is another very light and simple choice. Only beware because by default gives server rights to all applications too and you manually must edit the rule and remove the "tick" from the checkbox.

23. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems that, doesn't it?... :D But actually you are using an excellent and sober firewall. Wisely Rising keeps HIPS feature where it should to be: in their Anti Virus. To a firewall it's adviced to have NIPS nowadays - not HIPS as Matousec likes.

No nags, like entropism said before (same nag'issue happened with their Free Anti Virus also; they corrected that immediately). You can use it without annoyances. Updates working like a charm...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  24. firzen771

hmm i really like the interface and the general layout of PC tools firewall, and even though PC tools firewall is light, rising seems to be a bit lighter, its hard to decide betweem the 2, ill continue testing them both.

25. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm using the last stable version of PCTools firewall now, and so far pretty happy with it. The "enhanced security" option isn't at all annoying, most of the time, and unlike the Comodo (version2) I was using, it seems to be able to remember things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.