Application Filtering

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Since I had to completely rebuild my PC this past weekend, I decided to dump ZoneAlarm and give Ghost Firewall a try. Setting rules for packet filtering is fairly easy. However, I noticed there is no program control, unless if I try to filter by local port.

Shouldn't lacking the ability to filter by application give me cause for concern here? What alternatives do I have?

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Well, I already have Process Guard, which I assume is a similar tool. I guess you are trying to say that with PG (or App Defend), I don't need application control within my firewall. I'm not sure I agree with that statement. :doubt:

4. Disciple

AD does much more than PG, including controlling Network Access. Both can play well with each other, and any overlap can be disabled in one of the apps. Even though AD is still in beta it has shown to be much more stable than the 3.x releases of PG. BTW, which I have just reinstalled 3.3 on one of my computers to see if it has become stable enough to keep.

I did try GhostWall on my notebook and liked it, but I am now back running ZAFree to see what it is all about. If you look back a couple of pages on the board you will find some threads about app control, with one or more including Jason's thoughts on the subject.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks, Disciple. :) I will do a search and see what Jason has to say. I value his opinion on subjects like this.

6. Disciple

Did you see this screen shot of the AD feature set http://www.ghostsecurity.com/images/appdefend_02_large.jpg? Compare it to what is found in PG, also you can demo AD to see if it is right for you. Unfortunately ATM there is no license for GSS, which is what you get when you download AD, you have to license each separately.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

I did check it out, Disciple. :)

I know that if Jason built it that it works well. ;) Unfortunately, I already own a license for PG (which I guess he probably had a hand in as well when he was with DCS). And AD does about the same thing. It apparently also allows control over what apps have internet access (application filtering), but now I'm not sure that is so important anymore. See my comments here, a thread you referred me to above.

Thanks again, Disciple. :D

8. Disciple

Your welcome, see you around Wilders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.