Apple says iPhone 4 algorithm is to blame, not antenna

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So why are they hiring antenna engineers then?

3. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Time will tell if the upcoming software/firmware update will resolve it, but Consumer Reports has an entirely different take on the matter here.

An excerpt for the lazy clickers among us, "And even if the alleged signal loss is real, there's an absence of hard evidence that iPhone 4 reception is problematic compared to past iPhones; indeed, there's evidence of just the opposite."

According to whatever network news channel I was just watching, the ads for antenna engineers were placed before the iPhone 4 was even released.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EXCUSES! :)

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

sounds like a load of PR bull to me... its clearly a bad antenna placement design thats at fault.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well its better than nothing at least. and only till september 30? what about anyone who buys an iphone 4 after that, theyre just left in the dust?

and is the offer for free bumpers global or just in the US?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

firzen771, as the article implies, this is still a developing story with more details to come. We'll see.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Ahh, good ol' Steve Jobs. Why fix what you can just hide with a case and sweep all your problems under the rug? Doesn't anyone ever tire of their bullcrap? They ignore or hide problems, rule with an iron fist over app developers, wipe their forums of those troublesome, complaining things called customers, it just never ends with these people. *Claps* Keep up the good work there Stevie boy.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Steve Jobs is right about some of the Apple's competitors having the same signal strength problems as the Iphone 4. My HTC Desire intermittently loses its signal for no known reason ... quick wiggle of the handset seems to cure it, at the moment :mad: . It makes me believe it too has an antenna issue. And if a firmware update doesn't fix, then I am going to be in the same position as the grumpy Iphone 4 user's. So I think what Apple has done right now is pretty admirable -- 1) to come out and admit there is a problem 2) and offer a temporary solution at a cost to Apple. BUT ... this is obviously going to be a fail solution -- those bumper thing's look quite ugly - they hide a nice aesthetic feature - they do not enhance the phone's look, IMO.

Iphone user's are not going to be happy with this as permanent hardware solution, no way! I can see a product recall announcement in Sept.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You admire Apple for coming out and admitting it. Certainly, after denying and deleting customer reports from their forums...yeah, deleting, after a well respected magazine didn't recommend the product because of such problems, and, should I go on about Apples screw-ups here? I too have seen this issue with other brands, so there is for sure a real problem here. But, that is not the only issue here, Apple is the one who, for quite some time before this little "oh hell, our stocks are falling" PR emergency conference, gave their customers and everybody else the middle finger.

This isn't their first time, and, with Steve, it won't be the last. Apple products, the vast majority of the time, are wonderful. The company, they could use a little bringing back down to earth amongst us mortals. Microsoft had to be humbled a bit, now so does Apple. They won't recall the products, Steve is too proud for that. I'm not sure who is worse here in this situation, Apple for addressing a real issue by giving out free cases, or customers for even for a moment considering it acceptable to do so.

14. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Costs Apple a whole (US) dollar per bumper.
    If every single one of the 3 million iPhone 4 customers took them up on this, they'd be out a whopping $3mil + shipping.
    Now if they were to actually do the right thing and recall all of these undeniably (though Jobs tried a few times today) flawed phones, they'd be out $1.5bil (Google these figures if you've any doubt).
    Still a small price to pay if they truly did "love their users" and had enough foresight to look long-term.
    I followed a live webblog of the (hour and a half long) event today and was disgusted by Jobs' arrogance, along with the other less than admirable qualities he displayed.
    I'll never buy another iPhone, or anything from Apple, for a long time to come if ever again.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Heh, my 6230 is better than the newest iPhone, in that it can make phone calls and stuff... excuse me while i laugh really hard :D

17. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Sometimes I wonder ... if it's worth just going back to a trusty Nokia and be done with glitchy smart phones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.