Apple requests retrial to squeeze more money out of Samsung

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Compu KTed, May 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

2. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

The way Apple is behaving with all of this is appalling, yeah Samsung copied some things that Apple did just like Apple copied a lot of stuff that others had done, Steve Jobs is even on record saying that Apple copy & steal from others.

It is obvious they way Apple are acting is due to their ever smaller sales so they use the courts to sue & try to get sales bans on competitors devices, the ironic thing is for a firm so obsessed with PR they can't even see that all this legal action is hurting their own image & sales :rolleyes:

All in all they are just a nasty company, locking users in & overcharging them for outdated tech.

3. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

If their image would've been hurt, I don't think they would've started this lawsuit. Outside of IT community I don't think many people know much about this lawsuit. In fact, if you go on the street and ask the average guy what's their opinion about company x copying a triangular phone made by company y, I bet most of them will side with company y.

4. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I would disagree, these legal spats are all over tech, mobile phone & news sites, in the UK there are also in most of the papers. Most people I have spoken to about it say that Apple are just being greedy & throwing their toys out of the pram while being complete hypocrites at the same time. Simple fact is Apple's sales have been slipping for a few years now & this is just being done to stifle & hobble the competition. I know at least 30 folk that were diehard iphone fans 27 of which have moved to mostly Samsung devices or other androids.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Moving from the best built mobile device made of the best materials to a cheaply looking plastic Samsung with a size of paddle? No, I don't believe.

I have a Sony tablet Z with KitKat and old iPhone 4s with 7.1.1 and while the speed of Sony is comparable to iPhone the fluency of iPhone is unmatched. Yeah, iOS is too much "locked" to my liking but with all Google services which I use, it is fully acceptable.

As for the Apple's retrial, nothing wrong, imo. It is a chance to earn more money from the lawsuit with Samsung. Samsung would do that too, if they could. And hurting Apple's image, is really not an issue. Look at the sales figures of all past iPhones. The same will happen this autumn with iPhone 6. Only misstep was 5c but I believe Apple got lesson learnt.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

It'd be one thing if they wanted to get the $ to pay their Chinese workers more $, and give them Much better working/living conditions etc. Cold day in hell before that happens though !

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

IMO, patents must disappear from the tech world in order for this madness to stop.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I beg to differ. If it should happen what you suggest you can't imagine what would trigger this decision. My engineering business deals with patent rights and know-how's and if we weren't covered by patents we would miss and lose everything.

9. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I don't disagree that the iphone is well built, they moved to samsung & other droids for several reasons.

1. More control over the OS
    2. If you don't like the stock Rom then flash one of the hundreds of custom ROM's.
    3. Able to root to block ads & make better backups of apps & data.
    4. Able to change the launcher to one of the many in the play store etc.
    5. Much better hardware at a cheaper cost.
    6. OS interface isn't as dumbed down.
    7. Able to sideload apps without hacking unlike the iphone that has to be jailbroken.
    8. Bigger better screens.
    9. Less of a walled garden & restricted ecosystem.
    10. I could go on...

Apple is just being greedy wanting more money & the sales ban is just to knock out the competition, I know some people that are still die hard apple fans but even they think that apple is going too far with the litigation & constant court cases, the thing that gets me & others is that apple ain't the innovative company they make out to be, the original iphone & ipad were revolutionary but they haven't innovated at all since then & have rested on their laurels, they steal other's idea's then make out they invented them in the first place. Apple were also found guilty of violating samsung & other companies patents.

Don't get me wrong I'm the first to say that the first Galaxy S was pretty much a iphone clone that was actually better than the device it was it was cloned from, later galaxy devices then branched out & came up with their own features that apple then copied, look at the so called revolutionary notification centre in newer versions of iOS that is basically a complete rip from Android's notification drawer.

If you actually look at apple's sales they always peak when a new device comes out then drop off sharply & then just trickle along, samsung sales actually increase ie galaxy s3 sales get higher when the S4 appears, s4 sales get higher when the s5 appears etc. BTW I'm not a samsung fanboy although I did have a galaxy s & galaxy s3, the galaxy s5 did nothing for me so I went to Sony Z2 instead & have never regretted it.

Sorry for the long winded reply :)

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Maybe too extreme, maybe not. Something needs to happen. In any case it appears that Apple is afraid to compete and wants to sue the competition out of business. I do agree with the above post that at least some of this money should be going to the Chinese workers that manufacture these devices. Then I would have a little better opinion of them but I am assuming most likely that this will be going out as bonuses to Apple upper management.

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

No problem Highlander. ;) Rather opposite. Thanks for explanation of your stance. :)

Notwithstanding on all your reasons and of other Apple opponents, Apple has very strong and huge user base just for the such reasons you did mention as cons. They don't need and don't want more control over the OS, root and so on. Though I have to agree with one thing, Apple was always considered as a technological pioneer what unfortunately especially after Steve passed away is slowly vanishing. The future of Apple mobiles stands or falls on the highly anticipated iPhone 6. We will see ...

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Do you really think that the higher revenue of Samsung or HTC or thousands of other companies which have manufacturing facilities in China, Taiwan etc. means the higher salaries of their manufacturing workers? Believe, it doesn't work like this. Apple shouldn't be criticized for things which others do as well.

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Patents have become more and more subjective. Little squares with either perfectly square or slightly rounded corners can be patented? And I still don't get how a company can patent a gene in my body? If anyone can, it would have been my parents. Anyway, I don't believe all these suits are in Apple's best interest. It seems that more people are switching from Apple to Android (Samsung) then Android to Apple. Maybe Apple should work on that...

14. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Apple had record sales in Q1 of this year? Who's changing what? You have a company with 2 phones vs 1000 different companies using Android. The only one who could say is doing well against Apple is Google. This is becoming similar with Microsoft's death. Every year someone is writing how bad is the situation at Microsoft. How do I get in such a "bad" situation with a few billions of dollars in profits every year?

Samsung, Apple, LG etc. same thing. They all copy, they all sue or would if they were in position, no principles at all.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

No, I don't think that it means higher salaries. That was my point... It is a matter of what they should do. And yes, Apple should be criticized, along with everyone else that does such things. We should not excuse such behavior with finger pointing at other companies. They should all take some responsibility for the world they live in rather than treating people like slave labor. I don't care about their products, there are some companies I won't buy from as a matter of principle. These trials just reenforce that feeling.

16. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I fully understand to what you are pointing but you need to admit yourself that you was born in bad century then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.