Apple crappy devices and iTunes

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

[RANT] I cant believe i have to go through so much crap and i still can't select specifically what i want to backup to my computer, can't backup custom ringtones etc. I really hate this iTunes crap, i dont know how so much people use these crappy devices.[/RANT]

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I have an iPod Touch and Galaxy Note. The latter works fine without Kies (maybe better), but I haven't found an alternative for iTunes WiFi Sync like AirDroid yet.

Even those apps that are supposed to transfer via WiFi can barely access anything, much less my music library. Hell, my PSP works better with PSP-FTPD.

Maybe you'll have better luck with third-party iTunes alternatives or jailbreaking your iDevice. I haven't done those due to lack of need.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The only reason im using iTunes is because im kinda forced to, parents own Apple devices and i had to make some backups . . . what a PITA.
    I know it could be easier if i learnt how to use iTunes but people always say Apple devices are easy to use . . . easy my *** LOL
    I couldnt find in iTunes an option to backup only specific files, i ended up backing up the whole device and i still have to restore it on another device.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Have a look at CopyTrans you can do backups without having iTunes installed.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You said it.

As long as you don't want freedom of choice apple will do.

Want freedom of choice look elsewhere.

6. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

5 iphones in my household and not a single itunes installation.

icloud is brilliant, also worked flawlessly when wife upgraded to iphone 5, it transferred all settings, apps, ringtones, app settings, contacts etc from an iphone 4.

people say that as the devices are easy to use, itunes being software and not a device is exempt from that statement. as the Roger posted, copytrans is a handy itunes alternative

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oh I forgot about iCloud. But it doesn't even transfer multimedia. treehouse786, what do you use for that? Something like Dropbox?

8. roger_m

It does backup pictures and videos according to Wikipedia.

It's just a shame that it requires wifi.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Really, where can I find that on icloud.com? Don't tell me it's an iTunes feature...

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Apple as a whole is crap, they push too much proprietary hardware/software crap to its customers, as i said, i dont know how so many people are happy using their products.
    I hope they end up like Sony soon which has always pushed proprietary crap too but ended up adopting widely used standards. Screw Apple!

11. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

it does transfer media during backups and restores. icloud.com is very different from icloud on an iphone, you will need to read some apple documentation on it.

do you mean copying media from a PC to iphone? there are many iphone apps which can be used for this as well as many PC apps. Roger has already mentioned a popular one

12. roger_m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud

13. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Well, I'm not an iOS-device user so I can't comment about any of them but both my daughter and I own MacBooks and if your use of 'crappy devices' is also meant to include them I would strongly disagree.

I'm hardly what you would call an Apple 'fan-boy' as I have been using PCs ever since the 70's and I currently own 3 PCs. Having bought a MacBook Air a few months ago I must say that I am totally impressed with the build quality and overall design, which is far superior to any PC laptop that I have ever owned.

Being an old PC-salt it did take a while to learn OS X and how to navigate around on a Mac but, once some of the keyboard-differences and touchpad are mastered, imho everything about it just works beautifully! :isay:

Cruise

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oh I see. Apple devices-only cloud.

Yes, but I've already stated my WiFi requirement in post #2. None of them other than iTunes meets it.

15. roger_m

It really comes down to personal preference. I personally hate Macs and would never own one. In my opinion OS X is one of the worst operating systems I've used. In terms of hardware, I much prefer Windows based laptops to Macbooks. The lack of hard drive activity LED is reason enough for me not to like them. But, in terms of actual build quality I fail to see how a Macbook offers any better quality than a quality Windows laptop. For example I simply cannot fault the quality and reliability of my 7 year old Compal laptop.

Now I'm not saying that Macs are bad, just not for me and obviously different people will have different opinions.

As for iPhones and iPads, while I do find them too limited for my liking when compared to my (much cheaper) Android phones and tablets, I will admit they are decent devices.

16. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Try iTools. Its always been great for me.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahaha keep in mind im not bashing Apple products quality, i've always said they are top notch in terms of hardware, im just complaining about all their proprietary hardware/software they push towards the users and how users have to take it or leave it. :mad: :rolleyes:

18. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Who or what was this in response to?

In the off chance it was geared towards my post, iTools is a legitimate tool for iPhone users.

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

To cruise. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.