"Applaud"/"Smite"/"Karma" feature.

Discussion in 'polls' started by spy1, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Just want to know what everyone thinks about this.

Option 2 up there means that if you don't want to see your user rating ( 'Karma' ) , or have the 'Applaud'/'Smite' links, you'd be able to turn that off entirely. pete

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The keep it as it is option is this moment not clear to me, as i see many people without that option beside their name, so i don't know what i would be voring for with that option.

Let me be clear:
    i think it should be ON and everybody can choose for themselves if they like to use it or not. Further it gives a good opportunity to agree or disagree with certain postings, people might be really serious and post to the best of our knowledge and helpfullness and educative where possible and thus raise the level of thios board.
    The further attractive part in the + and - is that opinions can chage and especially for certain postings, so a person would not automatically stay on the 5 star rating because of some positive opinions, which might be even less objective, while in other cases the person does not post of any value at all. I like this system with those extra options value options, better then elsewhere.
    I think if "karma" would have been called "rating" or "stars" that nobody would have made any problems, while i like the name karma as a product of action/reaction and from that have nothing against the therm, as explained even more precize from the other systems elsewhere.
    Hope you can see this way the applayse and smite as a serious way of expressing (dis)agreements.

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I'm the one who made a suggestion to use this new feature. However, I am one who is very serious about individual rights to personal choice. I voted for the Opt-Out feature because I dislike having others foist their preferences on to my stuff without even considering how I would like it to be. Seems to me that with the choice you would eventually arrive at a true concensus of how everyone uses this function. Right now there are pro, con and indifferent. I say let each individual member decide for themselves with the option that they can change that decision whenever they like. I doubt this will lead to anarchy, but to a more orderly and relaxed state of process. :)

4. snowman

snowman Guest

I wont vote one way or the other...but will express my thoughts.
    If a person has something to say to another person good or bad...they should say it directly to the person.

snowman

5. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

It's just a bit of fun.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It won't bother me !!!

Technodrome

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Well you can look at it two ways:

1) a benefit to the board, it makes people concious of how they conduct themselves. One would wonder why the do not already.

2) who cares anyway. My personal opinion. This topic is insignificant to me.

3) this is like having a poll running for every member with 100 posts. If I started a poll that gave two options:

a) I like checkout.

b) I do not like checkout.

That poll would probably be removed by the admins. I have asked before and we decided polls of this mannor are not in the spirit of the board. (I won't say who I intended to ask people's opinion of) I see little difference between that and the new karma ratings.

So, yes I stated I don't care. Yes that conflicts with what I said about the polls directed at a particular person. Make of that what you will.

8. Checkout

I like you, Uni.

You get my vote.

(Funny how the range of smilies seems so...inadequate...at times like this.)

9. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Ouch, I was just squished by what appeared to be the hand of GOD!

10. Checkout

Weird! Like you, I felt a sudden rush of blood to my cyberpancreas, and before I could vulcanise the soles of my feet, pressurised gases I'd been saving up all day evacuated from an orifice I rarely refer to!

Ain't that always the way, Uni?

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Unicron, when you start that new poll, can you please include a 3rd option for those of us who absolutely LURV Checkout? please?

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and Gents,

Thanks for expressing your opinion ;)

The "Karma" feature will stay up as it is. Those who do not like it; just ignore. In the end, all that counts is the quality of posts. And that's your personal, purely individual view - regardless of this karma feature ;)

This poll will be closed within a few days.

regards.

paul

13. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I'll vote for that Paul!

Ckeckout, you missed an oportunity to point out that I mentioned three points not two.

14. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

i am not sure i really understand the purpose behind having such a feature? is the Karma related then to the quality of the post....or to the individual making the post?

all i know is i do not get a good feeling when i see ANY "-" number beside anyone's name...no matter what or how they post.....to me everyone's contribution is a positive, never a negative.

but i will admit the banter between Checkout and Unicron over these Karma points was Very Funny! LOL

15. Checkout

Instant Karm got me. I was too mellow to be critical. ;)

16. Paul Wilders

Hi snap,

The Karma feature simply provides registered members to express their feelings about what person x has been posting. You and you only are the one who values posts; don't bother about an (in the end) cosmetic feature ;).

regards.

paul

17. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

well then have a karma point on me ;)

~The heavy hand of god reaches down and bestows an ever so small raindrop of tranquility on checkout~

18. Checkout

If only sex changes were so expensive, I'd do anything to please you. 'Cept shave. Here. There.

Instead, I offer you this vodka-inspired poem:

Uncirom (inspired by Blaze)
    My life is one big haze
    O Unicron, Metal Girders
    I barf like cattle herders
    You are the bloke
    Emotions choke
    What of privacy?
    You tell me.

Signed: Karma Chameleon.

19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

LMAO I am quite impressed with your prose Checkout. Hey look someone gave me an "applaud" hehehe
    My first Karma

20. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

You're velcome Detox. Have another. I give em out like candy

Very nice Checky, that deserves further Karma points!

I see that the time between blessing/cursing an individual is 1 hour. Perhaps I could write a little prog that allows you to specify the member, how often to give karma, and what kind. That way while I sleep I could bestow karma on checkout every hour for the rest of his natural life.

;)

21. Checkout

If only my life was natural. Sigh. I am the product of Government research into Synthetic Stupidity (having abandoned all attempts at AI).

22. zappa

zappa Registered Member

This is unreal. Wow. All over qrarmaa. Qrarmaa is absorbed not bestowed. It seeps into one's soul like moonshine seeps into one's veins.

I vort it in.

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

"sorry, you are not permitted to modify your own karma"

24. Paul Wilders

As has been announced: poll closed from now on ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.