AppGuard vs EMET (Memory Protection)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TomAZ, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Are AppGuard and EMET about equal when it comes to memory protection?

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

There was a test where AppGuard outclassed EMET, which only is logical.

EMET is free though. :)

This thread will probably be closed as it's A vs B.

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I would say that EMET is a good addition to any security app but it cannot substitute any app. So to OP you would better chose to use AG with/or without EMET but not EMET only.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Are they incompatible?

Hardly...

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It's quite different, EMET uses techniques like DEP and ASLR and others limit exploitation of code in memory from a process, for example by setting certain limitations to prevent making code executable or randomizing the place where the code is 'residing'. AppGuard's Memory Guard prevents Guarded processes from writing to the memory of other processes and can also prevent it from reading memory of other processes.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I assume AppGuard also prevents other processes (EMET) from injecting DLLs also? Or is there another reason why both can't be used?

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Ok so AppGuard is more like a standard HIPS, and can´t be compared to EMET at all.

I´ve been reading about this app, if I´m correct it´s basically a sandbox HIPS.

It´s interesting but the spartan GUI is a turn off for me. :cautious:

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually it is neither a standard HIPS or sandbox hips. It is more a policy type program like Defense wall.

A HIPS will alert you to a new exe trying to run. Appguard doesn't do this.

Pete

9. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Appguard, like Peter said, is policy based with some "anti-execute-like" features but not really an anti-execute program either. EMET from what I understand was designed to be an anti-exploit type program to compliment other security apps that lacked such protection. The way they protect memory is quite different. EMET makes many of the ways attackers use to exploit your machine unusable, really only putting Windows native obstacles in the way. AG isolates processes and prevents them from "hijacking" or tampering with one another. In my opinion AG's way is more forward looking and simple; unless of course AG itself has an exploit then you would want emet to protect AG too. :doubt:

10. Rasheed187

@ Peter2150

That´s what I call sandbox HIPS. So no pop ups, but just restricting apps.

@ 1000db

I think you will always need EMET, at least if you´re really paranoid.

11. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I think that AppGuard approach is better: it doesn't block only exe attacks or similar, but sandboxs and isolates completely the applications that can be exploited in very much ways and from many different kinds of malwares, first the browsers... anyway, I couldn't live alone classical HIPSs :)

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

When I use Process Explorer or Hacker I see Emet.dll in the Guarded browser process so I think it works correctly together. In the AG log I can also see Logitech Setpoint being blocked from reading and writing to the browser's process, so I'm not sure what Emet does different to make it work. You can add processes to the Memory Guard exception btw(read, write or both) but I haven't added Emet to exceptions, there are no blocked entries about it in the log and like I said Emet.dll is listed in the DLL list of the browser process.

13. shadek

shadek Registered Member

So, is EMET good to use to protect AppGuard from exploits? Anyone have any idea? In other regards, I think AppGuard and EMET overlapses each other quite much but AppGuard being the stronger defender.

14. Rasheed187

No they don´t overlapse, they are completely different tools. EMET is not really a HIPS, you should read this:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/06/windows-security-101-emet-4-0/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.