AppGuard or VoodooShield for unattended office use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by XSD, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XSD

XSD Registered Member

Hi All,

Background:

I'm looking to revamp the security software on the PCs in my business. There are 6 machines either running Windows 7 or Windows 8 and they're all used by people who are not the least bit computer literate. Primary uses are things like QuickBooks, MS Office, Acrobat, etc. There's no in house IT staff.

In the past I've relied on a single install of TrendMicro and Windows Firewall but I'm tired of all that failing me. I end up having to re-install a machine every few months due to malware or other such issues.

Question:

I know some people run either AppGuard or VoodooShield to block malware, and some people run both. I've scoured these forums pretty heavily and it seems they both aim to accomplish the same goals, just going about it in a different manner. Which product would you use if your goal was to set it and forget it, hopefully to run "unattended" or with as little user intervention as possible.

Based on my research the other security software that I'll be installing will be:

Firewall: Stock Windows Firewall
    A/V: WSA Internet Security Plus
    Backup: Macrium Reflect v5
    "CYA" Backup: Altaro Backup FS
    Web Browser: Google Chrome

I'll probably have our router relay DNS requests through Norton DNS just to be extra safe.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have a very similiar situation, using the same software. The machine in question is an XP machine and is used by 2 people who work remote. The are semi literate in computers, but no security software experience.

I run the following setup.

1. Online Armor, with Program Files and Windows excluded.
    2. Novirusthanks Exeradarpro
    3. Appguard
    4. Sandboxie.

Thats it, no AV's and I've never had a problem.

Pete

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

That would be hard to answer. You are asking at a time when big changes are occurring with both products. VoodooShield is currently being coded as a service, and Appguard just released Version 4 for beta testing. There were many changes made in Appguard V4 compared with all the previous versions. We are all new to Appguard version 4, and we will also all be new to VoodooShield 2 when it is released a service. You may just have to try them both out for yourself. I've been using AG for a long time, and VS for almost 2 years. The products will also be somewhat new to me.

4. XSD

XSD Registered Member

Peter2150 - Thank you for sharing your line-up, I was hoping there would be other members in somewhat the same boat. Seems like I'm on the right track.

Cutting_Edgetech - Thanks for pointing that out, I suppose we need to wait for the new to wear off before anyone can really make a solid and informed recommendation. Since you have a considerable amount of experience with both products, which would you recommend as they exist today?

I'll definitely be trying both of them once released, it's clearly the most responsible thing to do in this situation. Unfortunately in the interim I will need to pick one to install even if it gets replaced in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.