Appguard discounted price

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by noons, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Is this price the standard price now or is it a short term "Sale"?

2. Eru

Eru Registered Member

It looks like it's standard.

3. Moosehead77

Moosehead77 Registered Member

Pegr,

I downloaded appguard again and am test driving it again. I followed your instructions. Once i had the thing in front of me the instructions were crystal clear. Testing programs to see if they run and no problems as of yet. Only warnings i get are prevented write to memory from, well, most programs. But this is normal correct. Just let that be?

4. noons

noons Registered Member

Correct the memory prevention warnings are normal.

5. noons

noons Registered Member

The fact that you can call a number and get someone to answer your question alone is worth $20 :cool:

6. Moosehead77

Thanks Noons.

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree. In my experience, it is normal for AppGuard to generate a lot of MemoryGuard alerts. These can usually be ignored and can optionally be suppressed in order to filter out the noise and reduce the number of blocked event messages written to the Windows event log.

8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Pegr,

Thanks for the above explanation. And, as usual very informative and learning.

I just installed Appguard and I am first time user. My Sandboxie container is located on Partition "J". When I install Appguard, I was told to do the following on the Sandboxie site:

Browers (Firefox and iexplorer) turn the privacy from "Yes" to "No".
    And, add SandboxieRpcSs.exe to the Memory Guard exceptions in the Advanced tab

See here:

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=74164#74164

Now, the Firefox works properly in Sandboxie, but I am not sure I have it right as Sandboxie is not showing, "as extended User Space with automatic write access.", the way you have written above?

See my screenshots?

Best regards,

P.S. Somehow, I cannot take screenshots now, I will post them later.

9. aladdin

Here are the screenshots, I had a very hard time to take these screenshots even Appguard set to "OFF" protection level:

Attached Files:

10. aladdin

Just bought the 3 licenses for $20. First time, I am using this application is today!

Best regards,

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am sure you'll be satisfied. AppGuard is probably the strongest instance in a layered security setup.

12. Moosehead77

I purchased it as well. I dont even know if its working. However since Aladdin bought it and i love that animated movie i bought it. If its good enough for Aladdin its good enough for me.

13. aladdin

Dear Shadek,

Thank you for welcoming me to the family of Appguard.

LOL, the Gennie is at your service! :D

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

install apguard here too:thumb:

15. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello, I have Sandboxie installed, with restrictions, eg run/internet access. I also force all drives sandboxed.
    I like the look of appguard, but do i need it ?
    Does it cause any slowdown at all ?
    Am i going to get lots of pop ups from legit programs ?
    Do you have to disable it, for example for windows updates,
    Many thanks

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Aladdin,

Welcome to the AppGuard club. :)

Thanks for the link. If I've understood the issue correctly, it affects forced applications. I don't use forced applications, which is why I've never encountered the problem reported in the Sandboxie forum. The reason there is a problem with Sandboxie forced applications is that any process spawned by a guarded application will automatically be guarded by AppGuard unless it is defined as a Power App.

The procedure recommended in the Sandboxie forum was a suggested workaround before Power Apps was added to the consumer version of AppGuard. If adding SandboxieRpcSs.exe as a Power App works (I haven't tried it but in principle it should), it is better than the suggested procedure for two reasons: -

1. Browsers should normally have Privacy set to Yes so that any folders defined as private within AppGuard cannot be accessed by the browser. Browsers access to private folders should be restricted wherever possible. Whilst you can do the same thing within Sandboxie, there may be times when you are using the browser outside of the sandbox, and it is still desirable to be able to restrict access using AppGuard.

2. Adding a MemoryGuard exception may resolve the issue but, without making SandboxieRpcSs.exe a Power App, it will still be guarded when executed from the browser and you don't want that. Assuming that adding SandboxieRpcSs.exe as a Power App works, you probably won't need the MemoryGuard exception.

One of the main uses for Power Apps is to enable processes to be launched unguarded from guarded applications. This is why you should you use Power Apps sparingly: Only with your most trusted executables and only then when necessary to resolve an issue. Power Apps provides guarded applications with a potential back door into System Space by spawning an unguarded process. In this case, SandboxieRpcSs.exe is a trusted key component of Sandboxie that should clearly be added as a Power App in order for forced applications to work properly.

Regarding the J: drive partition, AppGuard will automatically treat any additional partition as part of User Space, which means that guarded applications will have read/write access. You don't need to do anything to make this happen and you won't see it reported anywhere. It's just the way AppGuard works.

Kind regards

17. Moosehead77

Pegr,

I downloaded Comodo Kill Switch to test it out. When i ran the exe of course Appguard blocked it from running (good Job). However how would i go about allowing Comodo to run without compromising the security of it by Appguard. This would help me out since once i learn this step i can than obviously use it on further programs i would like to install or run.

I noticed i could perhaps add it to the folder exception and set it to allow write, as the alert Appguard gave was Comodo was prevented from writing to registry.

thanks.

18. AMD

AMD Registered Member

Would appguard be a good idea to add to my setup?

19. Eru

Eru Registered Member

There is a 30 day trial - try and decide :p

20. AMD

AMD Registered Member

I mean does it replace anything I have and work without confliction with Avast IS ?

21. Eru

Eru Registered Member

It's a different working app - and it could replace everything you have ;) And you will have to customize it first ;)

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Is the new, cheaper license still lifetime except for major version changes?

23. Eru

Eru Registered Member

Lifetime for version 3.x.x - if there will be version 4.x.x you will have to buy new license ;)

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

KillSwitch is a portable application. If it needs to run unguarded, you can temporarily suspend either USB protection or user-space protection before launching KillSwitch, depending on where you are running it from.

USB protection can be temporarily suspended by right-clicking on the AppGuard tray icon and selecting “Allow UnGuarded USB Launches” from the menu. To temporarily suspend user-space protection, right-click on the AppGuard tray icon and select "Allow Unguarded User-space Launches" from the menu.

As Comodo digitally sign their applications, you could also consider adding Comodo to the trusted Publisher list as well.

Kind regards

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I am using AppGuard with avast! Free Antivirus without any problems so avast! IS should work too. In order to optimize performance and minimize the risk of conflict, I made the following real-time shield exclusions: -

File System Shield: AppGuardAgent.exe and AppGuardGUI.exe excluded from automatic sandboxing; and AppGuard program files folder excluded from scanning on execution.

Behaviour Shield: AppGuardAgent.exe and AppGuardGUI.exe added as trusted processes.

I didn't need to make any exceptions for avast! within AppGuard but if you do run into problems, try listing avast! services as Power Apps. You could also consider adding AVAST Software to the trusted Publisher list from an avast! digitally signed file.

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.