Appguard discounted price

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by noons, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noons

noons Registered Member

So I am not sure how long its been like this, but I went to Blue Ridges site and now they have appguard consumer 3 user license for only $20. Deffintely a bargin for this application. Last time I checked I think a license was $35 and if I remember correctly that was for one user. If you havent already done so now is a great time to purchase it!! :argh: :thumb:

2. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

Nice find!
    Just got myself 3 new licences.Happy days :D

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good price:thumb:

4. Moosehead77

Moosehead77 Registered Member

Sell me on it. I had it on my comp and the thing kept blocking everything in sight, you threw the thing in the exclusion box and it blocked it more. (blocking is a good thing, but it blocks all the things i wanna run, learning mode, UH DUH). Needs more attention in the simple to operate category. Not that i didnt adjust it eventually, however im trying to enjoy my life with all types of activities, not just adjusting Appguard.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

20 bucks for AppGuard would be the best twenty bucks one could ever spend on a brilliant piece of security software.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree dave:thumb:

7. Moosehead77

Thanks Djohn im sold. I mean you took your pants off and started swinging from a Chandelier. Program must be good.

:eek:

8. Moosehead77

Is this a lifetime license or a yearly license?

9. Dark Shadow

If I recall correctly Lifetime and yes it is very good.There is only a handfull of programs that I will rave about and Appguard is one of them.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. Moosehead77

Im gonna get it then. $20 for a lifetime license is phenomenal. Even if i start a program and all it does is blink and nothing else for $20 ill buy it.

Thanks Djohn.

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No, not lifetime. Current licensing terms are detailed in the following post by Barb_C: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2045841&postcount=971

12. STONEMAN

Yes,Its valid for all of version 3,currently at 3.4
    Version 4 will probably be a long long way off :)

13. focus

focus Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. Called the support number and it is a lifetime license X3, with the caveat that a major new release will cost, as indicated by the reference by pegr.

14. Moosehead77

Thanks Pegr. In any event can someone explain this program to me and how it would benefit me if say i use sandboxie, and shadow defender. Would it be needed? Can someone give me a little more insight into it and its function. Im gonna go read the manual for this thing as well while im at it. Be back in a jiffy.

15. Dark Shadow

16. Moosehead77

So half a lifetime. Still sounds pretty good to me.

17. Moosehead77

No problem Djohn. I spent $20 on peanuts last night, and a can of coke. Even if its good for just version 3 its still a great deal. I dont mind paying if the product is good.

18. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Shadow Defender protects the system against permanent change when in Shadow Mode, but can't prevent the damage that malware may do in terms of identity and data theft before it is removed on the next reboot.

AppGuard is a perfect complement to Shadow Defender because it applies policy restriction to untrusted (guarded) applications across the whole system. It is based on the concept of a trusted enclave.

Sandboxie provides great protection for applications that are running within the sandbox, but the protection is not across the whole system in the way that it is with AppGuard. Sandboxie is well positioned as a browser protection utility.

Because they are different types of program, all three programs can be usefully combined and run together without conflict.

19. Moosehead77

I understood that perfectly. Kudos to you, must be a teacher. Im slow so i dont usually grasp it on someones first intent to explain.

A follow up question. I was reading the manual. You have the user space and the power app list. Do sandboxie and shadow defender both run without a hitch with appguard. If not which list would i add them to. Asking because im sure if there was some conflict they had it figured out by now and someone would have the knowledge as to what list to add it to.

20. pegr

pegr Registered Member

In my experience, Sandboxie and Shadow Defender both run without a hitch with AppGuard.

Depending on where your sandbox folder is located, you may need to make an exclusion within AppGuard so that your guarded applications running within the sandbox (e.g. browser) can write to the sandbox folder. Don't make Sandboxie a guarded application. You guard the applications that run inside the sandbox, not Sandboxie itself.

If your sandbox folder is located on another partition, it will be treated as extended User Space with automatic write access. This is how Sandboxie is set up on my system and I didn't have to make any AppGuard exceptions for Sandboxie to work. If located in its default location on the system partition, the sandbox folder is in System Space and you will need add it to the list of folders that guarded applications can write to. The list is located under Settings within the Guarded Apps tab and you just add the sandbox folder and set the access type to Read/Write.

AppGuard keeps all of its settings in two policy files, both called appguardpolicy.xml within the user profiles: One under a specific user profile and the other under the All Users profile. You may find it convenient to set these up within Shadow Defender's Commit Now list so that you can easily save any changes to the policy files while Shadow Mode is enabled. Other than that, you shouldn't need to do anything special to use AppGuard and Shadow Defender together.

The User Space exception list has a different purpose to the Guarded Apps exception list. The purpose of the Guarded Apps exception list is allow write access to folders in System Space that would normally be blocked; whereas the purpose of the User Space exception list is to allow program launches from User Space that would normally be blocked. The blocking events you see will guide you as to what exceptions you need to make.

The Power Apps list should be used very sparingly. It tells AppGuard to completely ignore the application entirely. You shouldn't automatically add applications to the Power Apps list just because they are security applications. Unless you are seeing blocking events that are impacting the correct operation of an application, and which can't be resolved any other way than making it a Power App, don't add it to the list.

Kind regards

21. Moosehead77

Ok that was a bit cumbersome on my brain, only because im not looking at what your speaking about. But no worries i can figure it out im thinking. Now for the most part, does appguard run itself or does it need alot of intervention from the user. I understand at some point you have to add a folder to allow access to a program you'd like to run but overall does it run itself. And i have sandboxie on the same drive as everything else. Im all in. So i would have to add that folder you mentioned to the list to avoid conflicts.

Thanks for all the info.

22. STONEMAN

Excellent explanation!
    I would have liked to have posted this as I know how most of it works,but putting pen to paper is something im not great with,well done :thumb:

23. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thank you. :)

Best wishes

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

After a little bit of initial setup, it mostly runs itself. Most of the blocked event alerts you will see will be MemoryGuard events and they can usually be ignored. Programs will sometimes cause blocked event alerts to occur because they are trying to do things that aren't essential for the program to function properly.

Occasionally a blocked event will interfere with a program's ability to function properly, but this doesn't happen all that often in my experience. In those situations, you will need to add an exception of some kind.

If you find that blocked event alerts are being generated that aren't detrimental to an application's functioning, you can create ignore messages to suppress the alerts if you find them annoying. You can also customise which types of blocked events will be alerted and/or written to the Windows event log.

Perhaps one of the nicest features of AppGuard is that it silently blocks anything that violates the set of policy restrictions without involving the user in making security decisions, although it is flexible enough to be customised where required.

Kind regards

25. Moosehead77

Great explanations Thank you Kindly. I had tried the program before but to be honest, (since i usually lie), I found it hard to operate. At the time I had Norton 360, gone now, but than it appguard would block its permission with an update after a quick scan. I threw everything in power apps and it still occurred. Although i realized than power apps should be used very sparingly it was giving me a headache as Norton wasnt working correctly. Now i figured it was user error. Not adding something i was supposed to add say. But it kinda scared me away from the program. In any case thanks again for all the info you provided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.