AppGuard and Temp Directory

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by KingC, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingC

KingC Registered Member

Hi everyone

Due to the recommendation of a lot of people on wilders I installed appguard *thank you all it seems to run lovely on my age old xp machine* but I do have some questions in regards to it's setup.

My tmp/temp directory is set to g:\temp, do I need to add this to appguard anywhere since I saw that sometimes when I uninstall software some files are blocked from running from my temp folder.

Also when I download files to my default directory "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads" I cannot run the exe. Example CCEnhancer-3.5.exe

Lastly portable apps are install on d:\portable, do I add that somewhere?

Thank you all for a fantastic forum.

2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi KingC, Welcome to the forums.

All of the locations you note are in user space and AppGuard will block execution of any unguarded launches from those locations.

I would not add any exceptions to AppGuard for them as Temp folders or your own downloads folder can be used by malicious programmes to execute. If I trusted the file I'd temporarily reduce AppGuard protection to launch it.

You could perhaps add your portable apps as Gaurded thereby allowing them to launch from user space.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.