AppGuard and firefox, opera etc. updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

When using AppGuard, can I update Firefox, Opera etc directly, or do I need to disable protection/make something trusted first?

2. ako

ako Registered Member

Anyone?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm.... I am not using it but let me guess that it should be done with disabled protection. It,s just a guess.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Aigle's "guess" is correct. It's just like with Sandboxie or DefenseWall...you have to disable protection.

Later...

5. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Aigle and Tresspasser are correct. One must suspend protection for a guarded application to allow it to update itself.

By default, we assume that applications will be compromised. Consequently, we do not allow a guarded application to harm itself, others, or critical system resources.

Last Summer at Black Hat (Las Vegas), one of the researchs reported on the security of most vendor self-update implementations as being generally weak. Interestingly, the researcher stated that the Microsoft "BITS" (?) infrastructure was among the more secure processes in the market.

Back on topic, in the case of self-updates for web browsers, I highly recommend closing all tabs and directing the remaining window to a highly trustworthy and simple page such as the main page for Google. Then quit and restart the browser. This may be a bit paranoid but it helps ensure that potentially malilicous scripts are flushed out of the browser when one suspends guarding of the browser to update it.

Cheers,

Eirik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.