AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard prevents guarded apps from writing to the HKLM registry hive. Whilst AppGuard can be customised to make folder exceptions, the same is not true for the registry. If registry permissions are what is causing the issue then a workaround would be to temporarily suspend guarded apps protection for iTunes when syncing the iphone.

This is done by right-clicking the tray icon and selecting Guarded Execution -> Suspend iTunes from the context menu while iTunes is running. When you've finished syncing the iphone, right-click the tray icon again and select Guarded Execution -> Enable iTunes to re-enable guarded apps protection.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

What blocked events are you seeing in the AppGuard Activity Report?

I don't know chromium but, if you can provide some details, hopefully someone who is familiar with chromium will be able to assist you.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Hello pegr:

Need to re-format my HDD so is this post still valid? I can't believe such an amazing program as AppGuard lacks an easy-to-use export/import settings tool.

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, it should still work. I agree there should be an export/import settings feature within the program without having to do it manually.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Me too.

6. rs11

rs11 Registered Member

When I try to open Chromium it pops up that it's blocking delegate_execute.exe and tells me to lower my settings to install
    and try the program again it works with the lowered settings
    10/08/14 17:28:09 Prevented process <delegate_execute.exe | c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe> from launching from <k:\chromium\application\40.0.2172.0>.

I hope someone can help
    Thanks

7. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Need to use some portable browsers.

1) Where best to locate the folder with the browsers inside? (win7 x64)
    2) What deal do i need to negotiate with this attack-dog Appguard to let the browsers open?

8. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

You are welcome. :thumb:

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I'm trying to use a program called Rename Hosts along with AppGuard. Rename Hosts is a little program that temporarily (and quickly) deactivates the Hosts file by renaming it. However, AG is preventing it from doing this (probably doesn't like writing to the Hosts file). How can I make this compatible so that it works with AG -- what settings do I need to make or change?

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AppGuard only prevents guarded apps from writing to the hosts file. Assuming you didn't add Rename Hosts to the Guarded Apps list, it is guarded because it is running from a user space folder, in which case the solution is to add the Rename Hosts executable to the User Space tab with the Include flag set to No.

12. SSri

SSri Registered Member

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

14. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thanks for that info, Pegr. Actually, however, it's not really a program -- it's a little batch file with a shortcut that resides in the Windows folder. The first time you click it, it deactives the HOSTS file by renaming it. Then, when desired, you click the shortcut again and it renames the HOSTS file back to "HOSTS." So, I'm not sure this will work, but thanks anyway.

15. newbino

newbino Registered Member

A question just occurred to me that I had never contemplated before. I run a RAM disk that deletes at reboot. On it, my programs sandboxes and the Temp folder.
    How should I handle it, if I should handle it at all, in AG?

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

All folders on the RAM disk are in user space. If the RAM disk is being used as the location for a Sandboxie container folder, no AppGuard configuration is required for sandboxing programs that are on the Guarded Apps list, as they will already have write access to the sandbox.

AppGuard launch protection will apply to any executables downloaded into the sandbox, which has the advantage of providing start/run restrictions for web browsing without having to configure Sandboxie. The disadvantage is if the sandbox is also to be used for software testing, in which case there are a couple of options.

One option is to create a separate sandbox for software testing and configure AppGuard to add the sandbox to the User Space tab with the Include flag set to No. Alternatively, if not using a separate sandbox, user space launches can be temporarily allowed while testing software inside the sandbox then disabled again for other activities, e.g. web browsing.

Similar considerations apply to the temp folder.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  17. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It won't work via a batch file because the Windows Command Processor that runs batch files is on the Guarded Apps list. The easiest option would be to turn off AppGuard protection before running the batch file then re-enable the previous protection level again afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  18. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Thanks pegr, I appreciate both the time you contribute in the forum as well as the way you write, answering the questions and simultaneously trying to impart a larger understanding of the issue

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're most welcome. newbino. :)

Regards
    pegr

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is anyone running Appguard alongside Dr. Web Security Space? If so, are there any special or recommended settings I should be aware of? Thanks

21. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I still don't completely understand why I already have these entries as ignore (disable status and event logs), yet they keep popping up in my logs blinking the status icon.

dja2k

Attached Files:

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Try unchecking Report Ignored Messages in the Alerts tab.

23. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I had to remove AppGuard. It was causing problems with Avira Prem. AV . It wouldn't let it update and it would turn Avira on and off. Had two BSOD's .On this computer I have XP Home Edition.

24. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I am sure this could have been solved by making use of the power app feature. Situations like this are the reason it exists.

25. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I'm sure you are correct but I wasn't sure what to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.