AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

No it didn't that's why I'm asking. I was just wondering if the settings for the guarded apps were correct.

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah, if they work when having them added to Guarded, no need to add them in the user-space tab.
    Private (no) mem read/write (yes) is what I have for most of my Guarded apps so it should be fine! :)

3. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Post the activity report, so we can take a better look at it.

4. kjdemuth

OK. I'm still getting the alerts:
    06/30/14 11:07:24 Prevented process <qtwebkit4.dll | C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe> from launching from <c:\users\kjdemuth\appdata\local\programs\google\musicmanager>.

This is one of about 30.

5. kjdemuth

I did post a lot more about 10 posts ago but no one saw it apparently.

6. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Add the above folder to User Space tab and set the include flag to 'No'.

7. kjdemuth

Is this going to decrease my security by allow it? Is there another way of allowing these apps to run?

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes. Making it Power Application.

Try this instead:

Remove .exe from Guarded Apps and set .exe to User Space tab and set the include flag to 'No'. Did you do that? (this would be the option that decrease your security the least)

9. kjdemuth

Ok. I tried that. I'll have to wait and see if it worked. For some reason it must check for services to be running or to sync because it only happens every 2 hours or so.

10. kjdemuth

Thanks Shadek! I'm going to have to read up on how to get Appguard to work. Still learning the in's and out's of it.

11. kjdemuth

Ok. Haven't gotten an alert in a while. I did just put the .exe like shadek suggested and not the whole folder.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I uninstalled AG 4 (latest stable build), and installed the latest beta build (4.1.41.2). I then checked to see what version AG reported installed, and it reported 4.1.41.0. I know this was reported as a problem with the auto update feature by some, but I thought I would report it again since it happens regardless of which method you use to update. This particular bug (if it is a bug) is not really with the auto update feature.

Attached Files:

13. Cutting_Edgetech

I already had Opera Web Browser on my guarded apps list, but AG added it again so it is on my Guarded Apps list twice now. Opera changes the location of Opera.exe within the installation folder everytime it updates. I already had the latest location of Opera.exe selected (C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\22.0.1471.70\Opera.exe). The one AG chose was the old location of Opera.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\22.0.1471.50\Opera.exe). I was informed in the past that AG is still protecting Opera even if the the location of Opera.exe has changed, but AG will not allow me to remove either one from the guarded apps list so I still have Opera on my Guarded Apps list twice.

Update: bug report sent 6/30/14 @ 6:11

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Great! Report back if the alert occurs!

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Barb already explained this. The installer and binary have different version numbers. I don't like that either, but it isn't a bug, and all is well.

Pete

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks, I have been gone the past 3 days. I just knew several users had already reported it. I did not report it as a bug. Has there been any word on whether they have fixed the auto update feature for those that it did not work for? I did send a bug report for that.

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Just a reminder; AG still has a bug when trying to add some digital certificates. The name field still shows as blank when adding Shadow Defender's certificate. I don't need to add Shadow Defender as a Trusted Publisher so no rush on fixing it if you have other more important bugs you are working on.

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If you use the standard shortcuts/start-menu entries to launch Opera, then it will use launcher.exe as parent(C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe). Guarding that one will make sure all versions are Guarded. (Keep in mind though that if you don't specifically guard the version-specific executables, when you put AG in install mode while Opera is running, when protection is turned back on, it will not Guard the child executables until you relaunch Opera.)

19. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

any news on the next version?

20. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

When the next version is officially released, what is the recommended upgrade method from version 4.X? Install over the top?

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

running very good alone :)

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

In order to verify that User Space launch protection is working correctly, I added c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe to the User Space tab and set the Include flag to Yes. At the Locked Down protection level, as expected, Notepad was prevented from running. At the Medium protection level, Notepad was allowed to run from User Space in Privacy Mode (I was unable to use Notepad to access a Private Folder), even though it is unsigned on Windows XP.

As User Space executables should only be allowed to run at the Medium protection level if they are either digitally signed or in the Guarded Apps list, this looks like a bug.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  23. Cutting_Edgetech

That sounds like a good find Pegr. I just rolled my machine back a couple hours ago so I don't have AG 4.1 beta installed right now. I will try the same test on my Windows 7X64 later tonight, or tomorrow to see if I get the same result. I may try a few similar test as well.

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks. If you get a chance to try it, I'd be interested to know if this is an existing bug on AG 4.0, and if it also applies to Windows 7.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

Notepad.exe is located in System32 folder, and SysWOW64 folder on Windows 7X64. Should I add both of them to the userspace?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.