AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I've been using AppGuard with Online Armor for years. I have also used it with Private Firewall, and Eset Smart Security with no problems.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Just use Windows Firewall.

1. Less potential for conflicts.
    2. It does a decent job as a firewall.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=362063

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Just added AG to EAM.
    So far, so good! :D

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

What Blue Ridge Networks developers have to say about these tests:
    -https://twitter.com/matalaz/status/451934665830436864

Also discussed here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2357917

I know, AppGuard isn't an AV/AM, but it's also a software, so can also have issues that mostly can be avoided...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

This is really starting to degrade my system. Appguard works fine for awhile, and then after an hour or so, the CPU usage approaches 20%.

Any news back from Tech Support?

6. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Question:
    Comodo Dragon is set as Guarded App (PR, MW, MR=On) and AG is at Medium.
    I changed Alerts setting to Blink on Guarded Execution Events.
    When Dragon is launched, the AG icon does not blink.

Note: Windows 7 are 64-bit.....and Dragon path contains "Program Files", not "Program Files (x86)" as in real system.

Is it expected?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Is the licencing/upgrade model still as per this post by Barb_C from 2012 (ie. minor 4.x updates are free, but 5.x will require upgrade fee):

Is there a discount for major upgrades (eg. 50%) ?

8. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Sorry, I haven't heard. I just *pinged* him again. He was in a developer conference last week so perhaps he overlooked my email. I'll see him tomorrow and ask him in person as well.

It's unfortunate because AppGuard has proven to have very little performance impact. Hopefully we will have an answer soon.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  9. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Yes. We have given major discounts for upgrades previously and I suppose we will again, but I can't commit to it.

10. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

If an application is on the Guard list, AppGuard will not block the launch (nor will its icon blink when the application is launched). Your alert setting means that if AppGuard blocks a Guarded application from performing an operation, then AppGuard will blink. So unless Comodo Dragon does something that AppGuard would consider suspicious you won't see a blinking icon - so to answer your question, it is expected.

Also, there are some GUI issues with AppGuard indicating that a program is in Program Files (vs. x86), but I assure you that those are only cosmetic and AppGuard is Guarding all programs that are in the Guard list. This GUI issue will be fixed in AppGuard 4.1.

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks again, Barb!
    Your support is great...as always!
    :)

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I just sent you a response. Sorry for the delay.

13. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I don't know if it's the same issue but it sounds like one I noticed. AppGuard GUI would eat 20% usage whenever the alert (blinking) would be active in the tray. Clicking the icon to stop the blinking, or creating rules to prevent them from alerting me would stop it and return to normal 0-2%.

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks for the info. I'm not seeing this behavior on Windows 7 64 bit. What OS are you running?

15. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Same here Barb, zero cpu usage from AppGuard despite just seeing the icon was blinking. Could Silver0066 and syrinx be running some security software that might conflict with AppGuard? Mine are on my signature and they don't conflict with each other at all. Seems I have quite an optimal security combo at the moment.

16. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Any plans to bring back MBR guard ?

17. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I never payed it much mind as it was an easy fix for me to click it but if it'll help I'll list the other software I run.

Honestly I was more annoyed I couldn't change the install directory as I like to keep the similar program types in special sub folders. Zemana has this quirk as well but can be manually changed before a reboot or in safemode as long as the registry entries are updated. AppGuard just wouldn't function outside of the original install folder so I'm guessing the paths are hardcoded someplace.

Windows 7 32bit
    Outpost Security Suite v9.1 (Realtime AV disabled. HIPS all set to prompt.)
    ESET NOD32 v7 (Realtime AV enabled, web protection disabled.)
    Sandboxie v3.76 (Skype has issues for me in 4.x with CPU usage when not the focused window so haven't moved up.)
    Zemana Antilogger v1.93 (System Defense disabled as I previously had conflicts with Outpost HIPS.)
    Malwarebytes (on demand only)

I was thinking of restoring an image of a fresh install. If I do I can see if it does the same thing without the others present then install them one at a time and check again. Probably won't be for another week or so if I do but maybe the original reporter can see a program they also use and save me the trouble :p

Also it's not a security program, but it does inject alot of stuff: Actual Window Manager

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  18. siketa

siketa Registered Member

In Activity Report there is a line:
    Prevented process <Comodo Dragon> from writing to <c:\program files (x86)\comodo\dragon\debug.log>.

Right click->Help does nothing.
    Why? Is that a bug?

19. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Dragon runs guarded so cannot write to System Space that includes Program Files.

Chrome says the same for me occasionally, it's just the browser trying to update a log file so won't effect anything if it's blocked. Feel free to set it to ignore. I did, no issues.

As for the lack of help text I can't help. Works for me.

Cheers

20. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Thanks.
    I am curious about Help option.

21. guest

guest Guest

Ok, just start using Appguard , alongside Emsisoft IS, where should i put the running processes of EIS to avoid potential conflicts and reduce resources usage from constant monitoring?

p.s: I want to do the same with Shadow Defender and Sandboxie running processes.

Thanks

22. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

AppGuard 'monitors' nothing, it just restricts. That aside, you should probably have to make zero adjustments because your security programs are located in system space and thus are not restricted by AppGuard. I've had to make no adjustments for Emsisoft, Sandboxie and Shadow Defender in AppGuard.

You should make yourself familiar with AppGuard's concept and the differentiation between system space and user space.

23. guest

guest Guest

thanks, i just want to be sure; i read the guide at the beginning of the thread, i think i grasped most of the functions :D

24. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I put 2 AG processes to EAM whitelist.

25. guest

guest Guest

yes did the same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.